perfect trailer size ???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by wallyturcotte, Apr 10, 2008.

1. wallyturcotte

wallyturcotte LawnSite Member

i would like to know what size of trailers you guys are using??? and what u can put on them mower wise.... walk behind and mid mount?? or ?? whats the best length??? i think i am going to go with a enclosed all aluminum ...... does anyone else use one of these???

2. TarheelTLC

TarheelTLC LawnSite Member

I have a 5x10 and struggle everyday. I put a push mower, 48 inch ztr, gas, trash can, and have all the racks for trimmers and blowers. I have no extra room for cleanups, spreader, aerator, etc. I am looking for a 7x16 enclosed currently. Most every guy around here do not like the enclosed. I am tired of spending 30 minutes a day unloading into the garage when I could leave it on the trailer secured. I have used a tarp some too with the current trailer but spent too much money on equipment to worry about the weather messing it up.

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 6x12 open and a 5x10 open...I prefer the 5x10 as I can back into my garage at the end of the mowing day and keep my equipment secure. I only have a 40" WB and a 21" and hand tools so I dont need a ton of room. I am going to weld a frame on the top rail of my trailer and install a locking tool chest so that I can store my Sthil Kombi tools...they will be locked and out of the weather while on job.

4. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Im currently looking for a trailer aswell. Right now i have a 5x10 but i ran out of room real quick. I put a 42inch z on it and a 32inch walkbehind and barely can do that. Im thinking about a 7x16 thats what most people use from what i can tell. but im also looking at a 7x18 cause they say when u buy a trailer make sure you can grow in it. I would love to buy a enclosed but its not my time right now...

5. RollTide11

RollTide11 LawnSite Member

I use a 6x10 and I put my 52" Z on it with plenty of extra room no problem.

6. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

i use a 6x12 the 48 is at the ramp door then the 32 the push blower the 21 and the 2 edgers everything eles hands also have a bagger tarps and a garbage can. i have a box on the tounge for all the gas and other stuff. its a turn key pull up hook up drag it away and you have a whole landscaping rig. its enclosed

7. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Thier is no perfect trailer

8. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

I use a 6'9" x 14ft trailer, and I do wish I bought a bigger trailer, it looks smaller and smaller everyday. But I can easily fit the 48", 36," 21" mowers
    on the deck of the trailer, with plenty of room for an aerator, and other power equipment, But who knows if I get a 72" into the mix. I do like the mobility of the smaller trailer though..but I made sure I got the extra wide option.

9. lawncutterupper

lawncutterupper LawnSite Member

Dont you have a bed on hte back of your truck?

10. JMiller08

JMiller08 LawnSite Senior Member

Im just starting this year with a 6 and a half by 12 open trailer. I will only be carrying a 48 inch lesco walk behind and a 21 in. I was just wondering though do you think my 95 nissan pickup with a 3.0 liter manual trans will have trouble pulling it. Thanks guys