1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

performance chip for 1999 ford power stroke?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by nlminc, Dec 1, 2005.

1. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Has anyone here added one? I've been getting mixed advice from guys at auto parts stores. The hypertech is not really made for the diesel engines....I was told. Ayy advice?
  2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Get a Bully Dog they are made for diesels, there a couple of companies that specialize in diesels
  3. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

I run Diablo Sports Predator hand held tuner in my 02 7.3psd. It is not a chip that you install, instead it stores the factory calibration then loads a new calibration into the PCM for more power. I love mine.

4. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

How much are these 2? I checked the Diablo site and couldn't find a price.
  5. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

I paid $350 for mine new in the box from a dealer. You can get them new on ebay at times as low as $300.

If i'm not mistaken the nice thing about the Bully Dog is that you can switch the tune on the fly like the Edge Juice tuner. With the Diablo you have to shut the truck off and it takes a minute or two to install a new tune. But I think that the Bully Dog and Edge Juices are between $650 to $800 and they mount on the dash most times so when you take the truck to the dealership they see it sitting rite in front of there eyes unless you take it off.
  6. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha LawnSite Member

There are so many chips and programmers for diesels now it is unreal. With me I have a TS Performance chip in my 99 F350, it makes good power for a work truck. I have DP Tuner custom chip in my 03, plus lots, and lots of other things. And for my 05 I am looking at a SCT (Superchips Custom Tuner). Your best bet is to go to http://thedieselstop.com Just become a member (its free) and then go to 7.3L Upgrades and Aftermarket. They guys over there have been tons of help for me. Hope this helps!!
  7. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Take a look at these. I don't know for sure how good it is but it sounds good.

8. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

Depends how much horsepower you want. Edge is a good chip, or if you want more hp you can have someone like Dieselinnovations.com burn you a custom chip.

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

I would ask 1), what are you intending to do with the truck? And 2) why does it not have enough power as it sits? I have yet to see any modern day diesel from all 3 manufacturers lack in power to do any task you set out to do. Thus, adding a smoke belcher is going to do nothing but that, make alot of smoke, look stupid as hell, and eventually waste a $12,000 engine for no reason other than to impress a hand full of people and gain you very little.

It's one thing if your truck is a toy. It's quite another if you have to make your living with it. Your call and your wallet. Speed is money, how fast would you like to go?
  10. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

Im sorry but your not going to "waste" a diesel engine from modding it. Maybe yall ford boys are different but I know of ALOT of 500+hp cummins that are daily drivers and tow everyday. Also you dont smoke under normal driving conditions unless you just have some crazy mods. I guess the reason you think it looks stupid as hell is because you have been "smoked" before.

But yes if you are only looking for alittle more towing power throw in one of those hypertech tuners. Those dont give you enough hp to put your tranny in danger.

If you are interested in a NEW Hypertech Tuner let me know.

But if you are wanting to get serious on making it fast look around on Thedieselstop.com