1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Performance Reviews

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by tthomass, Nov 29, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Anyone care to lend some help in performance reviews?

I tend to think too much about everything little thing that a person does that irritates me. From consistantly waiting too late to turn, almost missing it to talking too much to customers or anybody in general, smoking, random stupid ideas or comments........those things are very easy to think of and tend to cloud judgement.

How to point out whats what and in a problem SOLVING way besides 'hey you suck at this so get it right or you're fired'. I've got a couple guys to have a pow wow with but don't want to come across as only having something negative to say.

How do you handle performance reviews? OR ones you may have been through........I have not.
  2. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

My most effective performance reviews were when there was a very clearly defined job description and set of expectations (big multinational corporation) for the guys under me. Have you done that for your guys? The reviews I gave were broken down into categories based on the job description- specific items like sales goals and profit margin, and more broad categories like professionalism, how well they were learning, and customer relations.
  3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I am going to put together an employee handbook this winter. Then I can specifically nail down the outlines of responsibility. I've got to see if I can dig up my old handbook from when I worked for a company......if I still have it (I hope).

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

At my old job, I devised an evaluation system...the details of which are a bit fuzzy now :laugh: But basically, I came up with 20-25 different things to grade the guys on, and each category carried a certain weight. Some categories were more important than others. Then we would tally up the points for a final score. Even the lesser guys would be good at SOME things, so you could at least praise them a little before telling them how much they suck :laugh:
  5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

as long as you have employees you will have employee issues