pergola in windy a area

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by noriega, Dec 19, 2007.

1. noriega

noriega LawnSite Member

I was looking for some advise on building a pergola in a windy area. This is the first one I'm building so I was wondering if their is any extra reinforcement I need to do or the structure itself will hold. their is a wall and some tall trees deflecting some wind.

2. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

with it being an open structure with no true roof, i would not think you would have a problem with it being in the open. if it is that windy out there, why would anyone want to sit outside anyway. j/k. i would think you woiuld be fine, but i always sub mine out, so i am not the last word in this discussion by any means.

3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Perception is a funny thing. Here or should I say my perception of a Pergola typically has stone or concrete columns and the heavy beams at the top are strapped to the concrete filled columns which are tied in with re bar to the large footings so nothing is going anywhere. But I have seen some stuff on HGTV they call pergolas that would frighten me liability wise. My advise just remember "Simpson is your friend".

4. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

I would definitly use straps to nail down the main cross beams to the 4x4's. If you just toe nail them, they could be subject to ripping out in a stiff wind. the rest of the structure is open so I don't think its necessary to tie down everything.

5. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Here we needed to have a plan for the county and an inspector.........you MUST look into that.

6. rscritch

rscritch LawnSite Member

we built one out of hedge wood, the whole freking thing. it was the home owners request, I had my attourney draw up papers saying that I am not liable for any thing invloving this. but it turned out great, we sunk full blowen trees in the ground 5 feet covered and 30" by 5' of concrete around each tree. it may rot but its never gona move I tend to over build every thing. when in doubt over build the he@@ out of it.

7. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Depends how big. Weve done 2 that we bought from a nursery that brought them in from central PA. These where smaller. The one I post the pic of had 4x4 posts and we used 4 mailbox post holders that clamp at the bottom. Another had 2x4 running along the bottom that we bolted to buried treated lumber. The others were bigger and we constructed them on site. The were anchored to 12" sono tubes, bases wrapped in stone.

Pictures 001.jpg

8. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

9. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Details, details. No seriously your right my bad. But any bigger shouldnt go anywhere unless your in tornado alley. I had another 'arbor' fall over years ago, but I think someone pushed it over. I tend to anchor everything now.