Pergola question?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by scagrider22, Sep 15, 2011.

1. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

Last month I built a patio with a pergola above it. The 6"x6" posts are sitting on a concrete footer 36" below the patio. The seat walls are also on a concrete footer so I filled the holes with stone up to the seat wall footer, then I have 5" of concrete under the columns and wall.

My question is what are you guys doing with the void around the posts inside the columns? Do you leave the void or fill it with sand? If I push the posts hard they barely move but do have some give.

002 (2).jpg

009.jpg

031.jpg

2. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I don't have any advice, just stumbled on your post and wanted to say the finished product is looking good!

3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

i don't know the answer either but i see your screen name is "scagrider"..i think i'd sell the mower and stick to this....it looks GREAT !!!

PS (seems like sand may keep coming through the blocks)

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Do not pack any sand in there.

Are the posts resting on top of the concrete or is the concrete poured around the posts?

If they're just sitting on the concrete, then that's why you have sway.

If concrete is poured around the posts, then there shouldn't be any sway.

Just like a deck. A deck where the posts actually go into the ground and have concrete around the posts will not move. But a deck with the posts resting on top of a concrete pier will sway.

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  5. vtscaper

vtscaper LawnSite Member

seems like some pt blocking on the each side of the posts would help.

6. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT LawnSite Senior Member

Chris....did you finish in Stowe....are you back to larkin's place??

7. scagrider22

Haha thanks, honestly I have not mowed grass other than my own in a few years. Its just a screen name.

8. scagrider22

The posts are sitting on a concrete footer 36"s below the seat wall footer and then I filled the holes and poured concrete around the posts for the seat wall footer. All of the sway is from the seat wall footer up. Its not bad but maybe I will stick some wood shims in the column as someone else mentioned, that should fix my issue.

9. scagrider22

DVS, I posted a picture that has the steps in it just so you could see the railing lol.

10. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I noticed that right away!