1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pergola, what in the world do i charge?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by epheus, Feb 9, 2008.

1. epheus

epheus LawnSite Member
    from texas

Help please, attached is the picture of what a customer wants me to build. I have absolutly no doubt how to build it, but how in the world do I charge for it.

Thanks guys!!

2. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Yer not going to design one, that's for sure. Do a Google search for them, there are quite a few companies out there that sell them.... you just install it with markup.
  3. Ravenwood Landscaping

Ravenwood Landscaping LawnSite Member

I'd go one of two ways:

1. Buy it like suggested and charge a little extra for time.
    2. Contract it out and charge a little extra for the time you put in to find the guy. A carpenter should be able to build this is less than a day, so you're looking at roughly $1000 labor plus materials.

I'd say you're looking anywhere between $2500-$4000 depending on the wood and size.
  4. Tom B.

Tom B. LawnSite Member

If you have no doubt how to build it (and have all of the necessary tools) then it should be easy. Do a materials takeoff and figure up your labor. If you're not sure about your labor, I'd suggest doing it time and materials. But, then again, maybe you should involve a pro and just add a little something to it.

FIREPOWER LawnSite Member
    from SW Ont

A quick fomula for wooden decks etc..is to double materials = charge. If it seems too little or too much then adjust accordingly.
  6. rscritch

rscritch LawnSite Member

For decks and perglas that are made out of lumber, I use have the contractor dept at menards work up a materials list and then i times it by 3 to get a final price. As good as the guys at the contractor are they all ways miss a few items and the customer all ways wants to change or add a small thing or two so it usualy works out to be 2 times the materials when its all said and done, by timesing by three it gives you more room to work and the customers appericate not feeling like they were nickled and dimed to death
  7. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

That's ridiculous to think that.

Secondly, that is cedar in the picture and thats the kind of wood you will need. There is no way you get will that amount of wood in the picture for $1000.00.