Perhaps my favorite photo from the 2012 season

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by TheOakGroveGardeners, Jan 22, 2013.

1. TheOakGroveGardeners

TheOakGroveGardeners LawnSite Member

I'll let it speak for itself.

DSCF1356.jpg

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  2. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

All those impatiens are making me impatient, lol.

3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

If it had some blue it would be 100% :waving:

4. wegomow

wegomow LawnSite Senior Member

Looks great! What is the trailing plant in the planter?

5. TheOakGroveGardeners

Good morning, all! thanks for the kind words. i can honestly say that I'm getting impatient with the lack of snow, making me look forward to spring as well!

I would have loved to have had some extra color in this planting, but in the spring and summer this side of the building has sun for a few hours in the early morning and a few hours late in the day. Thank goodness it's irrigated; that afternoon sun is brutal!

The planters (Classic Garden Ornaments Longshadow) are planted with Dracaena at the center, and surrounded by the same Super Elfin Impatiens that are in the ground. The trailing plants are Dichondra 'Silver Falls.'

6. TheOakGroveGardeners

since you liked those, here are two more!

IMG_3733.jpg

IMG_3736.jpg

7. TheOakGroveGardeners

...and a few more.

DSCF1327.jpg

DSCF1316.jpg

8. TheOakGroveGardeners

My only complaint about Dichondra is that it needs to be maintained in a manner similar to long hair. I had to comb it out with my fingers every week!

9. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Hey looks great, I love using potato vine and other trailing type annual groundcovers, you must be northern, and yeah afternoon sun is the worst. As far as colour impatiens are great, I havent had good luck with them last year, its seems like certian colours would die for whatever reason.

10. TheOakGroveGardeners

I'm glad to see you mention that, as I was going to bring it up. After working so hard to keep everything alive through the worst of the drought, all of our Super Elfin Impatiens began to decline. But not just ours, any property that had them planted saw the same symptoms! They appeared to suffer from a mold.

FYI We work in a western suburb of Chicago, Illinois so not nearly as northern as you!