1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Perimeter Application Equipment

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Victor, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

For those of you who offer perimeter pest control, I was wondering what equipment you prefer to use? Some guys use backpack sprayers when they spray foundations and beds, others I've talked to prefer to use a mini skid sprayer and drag hose around the house. I've been told they prefer to use a skid, because it allows them to get good penetration, deep into mulch beds, as well as into cracks and crevices in foundations. For those of that use a skid, do you prefer using a JD-9 gun for extra punch over a Chemlawn gun?

For those of you that use granular products in beds that surround homes, what's your preferred type of spreader? A chest spreader?

I'm looking forward to seeing what anyone has to say.
  2. group501

group501 LawnSite Member

We use a Birchmeir (sp?) backpack to spray the beds and structure areas and we use a handheld spreader to apply a granular barrier.
  3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Stihl Sg20 Backpack. Earthway handheld "monkey grinder". Both are easy to get in and around shrubs. If I were to use a skid sprayer, I would only use a JD-9 because you get increased penetration as well as being able to shoot from a distance and that helps keep your hose from wrapping around shrubs.
  4. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

i have used a back pack and a small electric spray unit. i prefer the electric.3/8 hose (like on a back pack) very inexpensive with a back pack wand out of northern star about 20.00 we actually used cheap garden hose wind up reels, i think 200 ft hose was less than 100.00 nice coverage with out pumping or much expense