Perimeter/border treatments

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jajwrigh, Mar 8, 2005.

1. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Do any of you do residential border treatments around the foundations of homes? I was considering adding this category to generate some extra summer income. Let me know.

2. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

By border treatments, do you mean for turf? Or are you talking about pest control? Beds?

3. jajwrigh

Around the foundations of homes...a barrier with a 30 day residual or so. This is intended to keep all types of insects and spiders out. Anyone? Some examples of products would be Suspend and Talstar..

4. Williams Services

Would that be getting into structural pest control? If so, I think you need a different license for that.

5. Turf Smart

Turf Smart LawnSite Member

In NY you need a 7a applicators license to do foundation treatments. The 3a category only appies to turf. This is a good opportunity for those seeking additional income. It is a profitable, add-on service. I have seen many posts regarding controlling moles but that too requires a different kind of license. The turf license does not technically cover mole control since they are considered non turf damaging "rodents".
    We have no companies around here that offer pest control as well as turf care. Maybe controlling rats and mice would be a good option from plowing snow!

6. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

yes, this is the second year. It is designed to be done with lawn treatments so we only make one trip out and do 2 service. payup

7. Williams Services

I've left a message with DPR here, they should get back to me by the 15th on it ... Betty was out until then.

8. jajwrigh

Did you guys read my first post?! I said I was thinking about adding another category (7a here too) to my license! For those who were helpful..thanks.

9. Williams Services

Ah ... when you said adding this category, I took your meaning to be service, for category. Apologies.

10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

You bet I do. I use custom built sprayers based on 6-gallon tanks, which make it very easy for me to add on such a service. You're looking at mere pennies per treatment, so you can charge whatever you want. The local competition here runs them at about $45-60 per treatment. So I point this out, and then charge $25 - and you oughtta see the fish just jumping into my boat!

The way I see it is like this: I'm going to their house anyways, so why not try to take in a few extra bucks? It costs me less than a buck and only takes me about 3 minutes or so.

Talstar is a great product for these "foundation sprays" or "bug barriers" - whatever you choose to call them.