1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Perimeter mowing.....why not?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Feb 11, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Why do I hear from you guys that it is bad to mow a lawn by mowing from the outer perimeter to the inner perimeter? Doesn't it put less stress on the turf, because you are just making 90 degree turns instead of 180 degree turns??? What are your thoughts??? What about besides turf damage?
  2. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

im not shure but woulnt that way take longer to cut.
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

One of my favorite methods with LT was a center
    cut and discharge out.It worked well on some
    yds .Using a z I think back and forth seems
    better,to cut down on mid yd turns.Also the
    z ability to turn would make it more practical
    especialy if you plan to stripe.THESE ARE JUST MY THOUGHTS.
  4. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

The most efficient method of cutting is straight line. The mower can go its fastest and the fullest width of the deck is being utilized. When you minimize size of turns and maximize straight shots you maximize productivity.
  5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

The only time I dont put a ribbon cut on a lawn is when I start in the middle and do a circle from the inside out.

I only do the bullseye for the final cut before dumping the account.

I also agree with Cullen. The less turning you have to do on a lawn area the better. If you are that concerned, you can rotate the directions of travel as well. If you started at the curb and went towards the house the first time, the next time start the same line at the house and mow towards the curb.

just my .02
  6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I've always striped ,back and forth,I dont think i could mow in a circle if i tried,Id probably get dizzy.I wont try the circle thing anytime soon
  7. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not talkin' about mowin' in circles, Kutnkru is. I'm talkin' about 90 degree turns along the perimeter.....
  8. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

You don't get those pretty stripes if you just go around in one direction.

9. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

i would need a seat belt to mow in circles .my ztr would make it feel like some rides at the fair grounds.
  10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

We do ball diamonds in an arc pattern from third base to first base. The next week we do it from pitching mount to center field in a fan shape.
    Once in a while I will do big properties in small squares and do diamond patterns between them, kind of like a checker board but with diamonds thrown in. I'll have to take some pics this year. It takes longer to cut but this property belongs to a lawyer and he only uses it a few times per year so if it looks bad I just redo it. It is a good property to practice on, last year I tried different mixes of Killex to see how weak I could make it and still have a good kill.