1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Perkins motor Radiator hose

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by PTSolutions, Feb 21, 2010.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

last time i had our rc100 out stacking snow i realized that the lower rad. hose was rubbing against the water pump housing and developed a leak where it wore through aganist a bolt head.

i called the shop and they want $130 for this 3" corrugated hose, book says it 45" long.

my question is, can i use any old 3" hose that i can find at NAPA or auto parts store? i mean the cooling system isnt under any higher pressure than a standard cooling system, say 13-16psi right?

there are some semi truck shops around by me and they should have something along those lines.

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see why not, some rad hoses are bent jusst in the right spot to fit around parts of the engine.

3. PTSolutions

from OH

it seems to be just a generic corrugated hose, its not a smooth preformed one. im gonna stop at these truck shops tomoro and see what i can find.

4. Nelson M Martin

Nelson M Martin LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

It is also possible to get 2 hose clamps and a short piece of pipe to fit inside the hose (if its on a straight part of the hose) then just cut the hose where it has the leak and splice it with the pipe and clamps.

5. PTSolutions

from OH

i was thinking about splicing it somehow, just worried if it would seal properly due to the crinkles in the hose though.

6. ioilyouin

ioilyouin LawnSite Senior Member

That would be a good temp fix, but it's no solution to rely on for the long run. You've just added two new places to spring a leak.

7. PTSolutions

from OH

i stopped at like 4 places this morning and one might be able t order something in. just got to get some more exact measurements.

8. PTSolutions

from OH

found a truck shop that had the exact piece i need: 2" i.d. x 25" length- $32, saved me $100!