Perkins or Mitsubishi ??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by qps, Mar 2, 2006.

1. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

My cat salesmen tells be my 257B has a mitsubishi block with cat head and injectors....other say its a perkins block....I say it lacks in the power dept. and don't know what to believe...uniscaper...help me out here:dizzy:

p.s I gonna look in the engine compartment for stamping....

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I think the Mini ex's used Mitsupillar engines while the skids used perkapillers?

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, that's what I thought. Our 303 has the Mituspillar and the 216 has the Perkapillar.

4. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

I believe the B-series runs Mitsubishis, but I'll either let Bill verify and check, or I'll just let him verify if I don't have time to check.

5. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

The 3024 (up to 57 hp) is basically a Perkins but it depends where in the world you are. The 3044 is a Misti Heavy Industries (MHI) engine. The 24*B and up run the MHI engine.

6. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you must have a new CAT salesman. The 257B is a Perkins, every tag on the injection, block and head says so. Unless he knows something that we don't. like maybe Mitsubishi is casting the blocks for Perkins to assemble? Not likely because Perkins has their own die casting plant in England.

7. qps

from Indy

Well the only think I can see says perkins on it...but I'm ready to drive it off a cliff....with a bucket of stone on dry ground the thing doesn't want to turn sometimes...its the darnest think I ever seen...surely to god somethings wrong with it:angry: My cat salesman drove it around and of course it ran fine for him but he said they had a pilot control problem with some units and wanted to bring it in to replace and check pressures...I sure hope it something like that...if not maybe test a case...but my case dealer is ready to string me up anyways:laugh: he's also the takeuchi salesman!!! this doens't help my cat dealership since I'm buying a new mini and waiting on there new C304CR to get here, or its Takeuchi TB53...for me:cool2: :cool2:
    I'm ranting alittle tonight since I got my invoice from my attorney who handled my rezoning case for 5 acres I bought...residental to light industrial.....:cry: anybody care to help a brother outpayup

8. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

QPS:

What year 257B???? They had a recall on the metering block for the directional control. After ours was replaced, it had power I never knew was there. Call them on it. They should send you a truck and fix it on the house..

9. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

I'll suggest the same. I ran a 257B that had a similar issue -- I stalled it three times, two of which I wasn't trying to stall it.

Another 257B, 236, and 246B never had that problem. It's probably exactly what Uniscaper said.

10. qps

from Indy

Bill, new unit with 25hrs....