perm-a-green owners/liquid weed kill

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ant, Apr 26, 2001.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

do you find it hard to get a good broadleaf weed kill useing this sprayer?
    i been useing momentum
    ant

2. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I mixed Trimes 992 12 ounce per gallon with great success.

3. ant

thanks for the reply
    ONE PASS DOES IT?
    do you get a lot of fert. buildup on the shield under the impeller while spreading- spraying?
    ant

4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I've got one of these and I have major issues
    #1 trimec should not be mixed this hot
    #2 I get a decent kill, but only on the canopy. weeds under it do not die as with a showerhead nozzel on the hose
    #3 the sprayer goes 9-11ft wide the spreader 14-16. why?
    #4 It is great on hills unless you want to turn. or stop. or go down or up or do any thing. in fact, it tears turf and still spins out on FLAT ground
    #5 it does not agitate
    therefore: no wettable powders, or simazine, they all end up in the bottom of the tank, and turn in to this interesting pasty goo
    #6 it flipped on me going down the ramp on my truck this week.
    #7 the spreader opening mechanism is the most tempormental thing I have ever used. I grease this thing DAILY and it still "varies" the opening, basically not openin all the way and changing (lowering)your fertilizer rates throughout the day. I have literally had better luck with a walmart 20 dollar rotary.
    #8 the brakes are a joke
    #9 my 1st tank leaked
    #10 the fertilizer screen lasted 10 hours of use
    #11 on slopes and hills I would take any walkbehind mower or rider i truthfully do not trust this machine.
    #12 Rates make no sense. if you used the rates ( 12 ounces per gallon? it sprays 30000 square ft at 8 gallons, that is double the maximum rate on the label per acre ) recommended in a spot sprayer, it would kill fescue and some bermudas. I use 2-3 ounces per gallon of trimec plus and it kills almost all weeds in one pass and does not damage turf.
    #13 it is basically a lazy man's spreader w/ some spot spraying ability. at $4000 I only enjoy it on properties over 15000 sq. ft.

sorry to vent, but this money could've been better spent on the self propelled earthway at $1800 and bought another 200 gallon spray rig at $2200.

Dave

5. ant

top for review
    ant

6. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

We have one as well. We also have 2 other (competitive) machines that were more $ but are MUCH better to operate.

Our perspective to David's points:

#3. You overlap your fertilizer but not your herbicide. Ours sprays closer to 8 or 9', never got 10' out of it.

#4. It's not a hillside machine any way or any how. Says they're "great on hills." Wrong; they're terrible on hills.

#5. The machine does have a small amount of Jet Agitation, but is primarily designed for solution amine broadleaf herbicide spraying. It's not meant to entirely replace your tank sprayer.

#6. Flipped it here too.
    #7. Agreed
    #8. Agreed
    #11. Agreed

12. The spray rate is 1 gallon of solution to 8,000 sq. ft. of lawn. Ant's post of 12oz/gallon is exactly where we mix our herbicide at.

A fertilizer spreader of this capability will allow you to spray at every fertilizer application. We've found this to yield less chemical use, increase IPM, decrease labor costs and employee fatigue, decrease weeds and increase customer satisfaction.

7. does the perma green work on killing weeds (I hate walking 100,000sf props)

is there any good things about it?

please help I have been looking at one for 2 years now and can't decide on what one to get?

LGF

8. ant

lgf--- it works for me. perm-a-green has a 100 hr. return on it ,you cant go wrong.
    ant

9. Pacific Nursery

Pacific Nursery LawnSite Member

I agree with most(not all) everything David says about the perma green. #13 lazy man? nobody in this business is lazy or your not in business very long.
    Overall I really like this machine. Bought it this year. It's a real time and fatigue saver. It has lessened my dependence on my tank sprayer. I don't have a dedicated spray truck so loading and unloading the tank is a pain and waste of my time. Also, one pass on any lawn fert and herbicide saves a lot of time. This machine has bugs but most machines do until we learn their quirks and adapt.
    Finally, after spending $4000 plus I would lose sleep if I thought I'd wasted my $. But I really think that it's a great machine.
    As far as herbicide rates I've been using millenium at 1oz and had great results(one pass). I also use momentum but haven't seen the results yet, but I expect them to be the same.

10. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member