Perma Green calibration

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RigglePLC, Mar 28, 2007.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I am frustrated! I used a measuring wheel and stopwatch--and found that I covered 320 feet per minute. Mounted stopwatch on handlebars. At 10 feet wide that is 3200 sqft per minute. at 3 pounds per thousand that is 5 minutes and 11 seconds per 50 pound bag. But it is never the same. And it doesn't always match with the lawn size. I am lucky to get within 13 or 14 percent.

2. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

John,
    I'm with you on this. I've already calibrated mine twice this year. I think i'm in the ball park now. I found for me the easiest way is to mark off 144 ft. Keep a little fert. in the bottom of the hopper, add your desireable amount of fert and adjust as necessary. The lesco i go to has a large plot where they let me do all of this. I think my problem is with my rpm's though. i can't even break 3400 and there always inconsistent. You can only pull so much of the cable out.
    -Jay

3. RigglePLC

Jay,
    I never got over 3300 and last year the tachometer failed. 3400 RPM sounds fine to me.

I am trying to spread 3 pounds per 1000 sqft. I have it set at about 2.2. For more accuracy I try to spread a whole bag and use the stop watch and measuring wheel to see how much I covered. But...I need big square lawns...and I am running short of those this week.

Forgot to check with the spreader guages.

Worse yet--Arggghh! I forgot to raise up the side deflector sheild--not sure, I may have done one lawn or maybe two with the deflector down. Is there a way to make sure I don't forget again?

For now I locked it in the up position by tightening the pivot bolt.

John

4. Shades of Green LService

Had the same problem w/ the 3rd hole shut off. Kept forgeting. Do you wear hearing protection when you use the PG? Sometimes i do ( FM radio built in) I only ask this because, you should hear a difference w/ the deflector down. Good luck.
    -Jay

5. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

My tech used a sharpie with "on" and "off" on the spreader cover adjacent to the deflector lever. Might help? Seemed to help him. And what's the comment about 2.2? I have my Ultra set at '7' for a 3.5 lb./M rate. Love the "big square lawns" comment, too. The first lawns I do every year are all 12,500-15,000, LOL. Can you say "check plot?"

6. RigglePLC

Still covering about 320 feet per minute (3.6 mph). Need to increase this. I am going to try moving the throttle at the carbuerator with my finger to see if there is more rpm available. In neutral, of course. Yes I am doing exactly the same, Sharpie marker to label "up" and "down". I never used the third hole shutoff--didn't realize that it worked in conjunction with edger. I would prefer to have a first hole adjustment so i could make adjustments to the spread pattern "on the fly".
    I don't use hearing protection--but noise of edger sheild is slight--I didn't notice it was left down --until much later.

I am hopeing that I can find a way to record the "time actually spreading" on my dash mounted kitchen timer. I want to be able to record how much time it took to use each bag, without clicking the stop watch on and off each time I open or close the fertilizer valve.

I have the pump wire disconnected--to avoid the chance of spraying antifreeze if I accidentally hit the switch. And regarding the pump, I am thinking about adding a bright pilot light to indicate when the weed killer switch is on. LOL. It caused a few problems last year when I forgot that the pump was on.
    John

7. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

To get the RPMs up bend the throttle stop. I run mine at 3600.
    I have tried to calibrate my PG over and over. It is still not much beyond guess work.

8. Shades of Green LService

What do you mean? I've pulled the cable out from the wire housing, But their is only so much that can come out. Thanks
    -Jay

9. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Shades of Green, to adjust your RPM on the perma green, you need to loosen the throttle assembly bolts in the back behind where the cable is going into the govenor. have someone hold the throttle cable to the point of full RPM's (3600-3700), you may slide this assembly area back and forth until you meet that RPM level. DO NOT TIGHTEN THE BOLTS WITHOUT KEEPING THE RPM LEVEL AT THE 3700 LEVEL AND DO NOT BE CHOKING WITH THE THROTTLE. snug the bolts and release the throttle. it should then be adjusted, may take a few tries to get accomplished but well worth the time. be sure you have someone to assist unless you were gifted enough to have 3 arms and another set of eyes, lol, GOOD LUCK!

10. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I have an Ultra with the Briggs motor. There is a tab bent up on the throttle linkage if you bend it forward it allows the throttle to open further.

Are we talking ultra or magnum?