1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

perma green mag or z spray

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by slt40, Jul 24, 2005.

1. slt40

slt40 LawnSite Member
    from nc

I am in the market for a ride on spreader/sprayer. I know the old pg took a beating on this sight, is the magnum any better. I am convinced the z-spray is a better machine, but the price & the lead time are making me take a good look at the magnum---any advise???
  2. thomsoutdoor

thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member

I had the same concerns. I tried the new pg magnum and so far I haven't any problems.
  3. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

I do have a z-max and a pg.
    Without bashing pg, I think the z is much better built and will out perform the pg hands down.
    Yes it is more expensive, but it is made to last.
    The z is faster, seems to spread better and the spray system is much better.
    As I mentioned in a recent post though I do still use the pg from time to time.
  4. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i have about 15 hrs. on the mag. with no problms ....this is my third pg unit in 7-8 yrs.
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I run an PG Ultra.

Never had any problems, however have only put 90 hours on in 2 years.

It would depend on what the properties you're doing.

Personally, I'd believe that for smaller lots, the PG would do fine.

However, if you're doing larger commercial properties, the Z-Spray would be nicer with the fact you're able to haul more material at one time.

I've got a Wal-Mart that I do, where it takes about 25 bags of fertilizer, and I've got to fill my tank up approx. 7 times with each app.

It'd be nice to have the Z-Spray and cut my time down running back to the truck every 8-10 minutes to get more fertilizer.

Right now, if my dad's not doing anything that day, he'll run my 4-wheeler with some fertilizer back and forth so I'm not driving the PG all over, but he's 73 and isn't going to be around forever either. Plus there's times he's fishing or out visiting relatives etc.

If you're doing properties that are 80k sqft or bigger, I'd look at a Z-Spray. Smaller than that, and it'd be a toss up, personally.

Much like a gas or diesel truck. How much are you going to use it, and how long are you going to keep it?? Same discussion, IMO.
  6. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't underestimate the Z on smaller properties as well. I have a route that has a bunch of 5-10k sq. ft. lawns. Granted there are no backyard gates, but I work that list so fast you would be amazed. There is something great about pulling up, unloading, applying, driving back on the trailer and gone in 5 minutes or less without ever loading a bag of fert. Multiply that procedure X 10 and you're making money fast!
  7. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

It's been able to do the job on any size property so far. Hills are tricky but they can be done. Start from the bottom turning up hill. Well built and productive. Spyker hopper is smooth and consistent.

After sale support from Z- Spray has been some of the best I have ever experienced. That means as much to me as the machine.

None of them (machines) are perfect but for me this one has been a great purchase.
  8. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

If ya know the Z is a better machine to start with, do ya think you will ever be happy with a PG?
  9. slt40

slt40 LawnSite Member
    from nc

If it works for me I'll be happy, I'm the guy with all used mowers but 2---I've even looked for a used PG. I have a lesco electric spreader I ran on a stander for a while, but was never happy with the operation. I have a 25 gallon gas powered fimco pull behind with a spray gun & an 8ft boom---I could build my own unit, but don't have the time.
    I treat around 110 properties now, but just got a line on an apartment complex, so we could be growing a lot more. We also have a 200 gallon truck unit, so the ride around will be a great compliment to it. I don't mind draggen hose, I hate the tripple rince going from 2-4d to spraying ornamentals, & I only have one guy that I trust much to spread correctly. Most guys just don't care enough to make sure your spread well unless they are getting a piece of the pie.

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

You Keep All The Riders And The Granular Most Of The Year. Just Give Me My Truck With The Tank/pump W/ Honda Motor 525 Ft Hose On The Reel And A 2gpm Nozzle! Hills Are No Problem, Precise Application And Is Super Fast On Small Lawns,,,,,,,,,almost No Equip Maintenance And No Blowing The Granules Off The Walkways. If I Did Get A Rider It Would Probably Be The C&s Turf Tracker From What I Have Seen.