Perma-Green Magnum lid leaking

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bflower, Aug 26, 2009.

1. bflower

bflower LawnSite Member

Hello all, just wondered if anyone has been plagued with a leaking permagreen lid? I should start by saying i have logged well over 3000 hrs on these machines without ever experiencing this. My 08 permagreen sloshes chemical all over- ME!!! I should credit pg with sending me out 3 new tanks- all of which leaked. i have lubed gaskets- and they fall into tank. i have glued gasket in with silicone and then lubed with silicon grease, vaseline and a number of other products. i have experimented with cork gaskets above and below the rubber gasket and alone. Am i missing something here? the sealing surfaces appear flat. I have installed a "dam" at the back of the tank to keep the bulk of the highly concentrated momentum off of me, but i would really prefer it not to leak.

Thanks Crew.

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Whats up STUD??????

Don't have a clue on what to do! Sounds like you have tried everything I would have!

Are you having a good summer?

Good to see ya on here....give me a call when ya get a chance!

Does PG have any idea what is up?

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

How can we help--you have already tried everything. But why not get a new tank lid? Maybe it is warped or the air vent is bad. Also double check your hoses and valves on top of the tank. Could be a hose or valve.

4. VARMIT COMMISSION

VARMIT COMMISSION LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same problem. What did you use for your dam on the back of the tank?

5. bflower

bflower LawnSite Member

Rod, summers rolling right along here~ good to hear from ya. counting the days till otf in dec. In the mean time would love to have my tank prob fixed! If i didnt have twelve grand wrapped up in these things i might think of jumping ship to the z side. I would not be where i am today without permagreen- they are great machines and are a great fit for the properties i service daily. Just looking for a solution, a leak at that level certainly isnt helping my count- Im still looking to have a few more kidders! Helpppppp*trucewhiteflag*

6. bflower

bflower LawnSite Member

Varmint- Pretty sad when you have to make a dam to keep this s@(*Y#! OFF YA! Take two of your lawn flags and cut off the step parts and head and place them at back of tank and cover with hillbilly chrome. this helps divert the juices to the sides and off your manparts. Have tried 4 seperate tanks with 4 seperate lids and intermingled them all and with all sorts of different goos to seal them. My 06 appears to have a thinner plastic at the sealing surface, which may apply more pressure to the seal and keep the threads from burping out juices. I am seriously contemplating taking a filet knife to the surface to narrow it down and hopefully apply more pressure.

Thanks Crew

7. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Duct tape. I can't believe I'm the first to suggest it. I have never had leaking issues w/ mine. I never fill more than 11 gal (just in case the filter is clogged, I can reach in w/ my glove)

8. bflower

bflower LawnSite Member

LBI- Duct tape is involved hence the hillbilly chrome. I am looking for a more permanent dam- maybe something vinyl at the hardware store with a self adhesive strip and around 1/2 inch tall. Ultimatly it would be nice to have a lid that just sealed correctly. my 06 and many predecessors right back to the sentry + ultras never leaked a drop- even when flipped over, dont ask! Apparently everybody but varmint + I are sealed up tight-looking forward to a dry day again:cry:

9. Laner

Laner LawnSite Senior Member

I have experienced a leaky lid on my 09 PG, but attributed it to filling too full. It doesn't leak when I have filled it less than 8 gal. I would guess that is because it is not sloshing around enough to leak out around the lid.

10. bflower

bflower LawnSite Member

Laner, good to hear im not the only one. I have found it does not leak as much with 8 gallons or less, however i would enjoy having my acre capability back, after all it is a 12 gallon machine. With only 3 of us leaking there must be a few good 08 and newer tanks out there?