Perma green parts

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by philk17088, Jun 12, 2007.

1. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

The 90 degree gear box on my ultra puked last week. I called and ordered it overnight. I wasn't surprised at the freight charge but $250 for the GEAR BOX???????????????.

I replaced the entire transaxle last month for $475.
    How can that little piece cost $250?

I like the machine but with just 500 hours Ihave replaced:

2 pumps
    1 starter
    1 diode
    1 carb
    1 ign coil
    1 shutoff plate
    2 throttle cables
    2 neutral switches
    1 kill switch
    1 battery
    1 paddle
    Now waiting on new safety unit.

Is this unusal?
    I am very meticulous with the maintenance of this but JEEZ!:cry:

2. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I have 3 ultras and dont even want to keep up with the parts that I have put into them.

that gear box is rediculous and the price for it. I had to get one this week too.
    Did it burn out or did the allen screws loosen up. I had on that the allen screws just had to be tightened. But keep an eye on it, b/c the allen screw will wear out the metal on the elbow and then you are screwed.(ha,ha)

I always just think that we are hard on the machines, but they have a lot that goes wrong with them just when you really need them. Like I said I have 3 and only need 2. The third is to rotate in to production when one of the others breaks down and is out for a week.

3. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

OK so I am not losing my mind.
    I use the pull start most of the time but dammit if its on the machine it should be in working order.
    I hate hillbillying things together and right now thats what it feels like with all the stuff breaking in the last 2 weeks.

4. Rlclawnguy

Rlclawnguy LawnSite Member

we replaced our gear box about a month ago and was thinking the same exact thing. It is crazy what this stuff costs! It wouldn't even be that bad if it was just something here and there. We have a setup with an enclosed trailer to carry a z-spray unit and 2 pgs. But most of the time we only go out with 2 guys because 75% of the time we take 3 one of the PG's breaks down. Its crazy how much time those machines spend with our mechanic.

I also hear you about the "hillbillying". You call them for support and they want to bypass stuff and change the way it runs. One was they wanted to change the electric. I finally decided that I was sick of hacking all the wires so we actually bought a whole new wire harness and a motorcycle battery and everything with those parts are working great (knock on wood!).

5. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I hear ya -- We currently have 2 ride-ons in the repair shop, a LESCO Z-two that's been down for over 3 weeks, and a PG Ultra down for over a week (still waiting on both). I would gladly pay $10,000 for a machine that did not break down for the first 3 years. Seems no manufacturer can come up with a "rider" that does not shell out quickly??? Kinda weird, cuz many "zero-turn mowers" last up to 15 years or more?

6. Rlclawnguy

Shortly after I posted my last message my second PG went down. This time the frame broke and has to go to the welder. The other one did the same thing just 4 weeks ago. I guess the only positive is that the parts came in for the other one so that guys can keep working if it stays working through the whole day.

7. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from southeast PA

ZZZZZZZZZZZ - spray,

I probably do the minimun maintenace, it goes out every day, I spray all kinds of thick fungicide mixtures, iron, speedzone, surge etc no problems. Have not spent $200 on parts in about 2 1/2 years. Can't beat thei service department either.

I know you have heard this all before but it is true.

8. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Too bad PG did not go from the Centuri, right onto the Magnum. The Ultra is their worst piece IMO!

Good luck Ultra owners,

Pete D

9. Rlclawnguy

I have a z-spray and am trying to phase out the PG's but the cost is high to do it all in one year, but the cost seems almost as high in parts and labor to keep our two PG's running for one guy.

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

it stinks when the tool u need breaks