perma green questions

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by meets1, Apr 25, 2004.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I purchased a new one, 34 hours this week. I like the machine. 5K to 3 acre properties are great.

I changed oil the other day, the dip stick always read full. The manual states you need 22 oz of oil. I drop the oil, get about 16 oz. I am wondering now. I fill the tank (which is a pain in the *&%) and I put in roughly 16 oz. R guys in the same boat?

Also what problems have you guys ran into with these machines as you get more hours on them? I don't carry any spare parts with me.

As I am spreading dry - after a while I get build up in the bottom of the hopper. I usually take a 50pd bag at a time and then clean it out, spray penetrating oil in there and it works great for another 40 pds worth. Then it gets tough to spread and empty the remaining fert. out. Any suggestions on not gumming up?

2. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I wonder what the deal is regarding the gumming-up? I just got a PG recently and have put 150 bags through it so far and have not had any problems. Perhaps its the different fert. but I have used different brands and still no problems (knocking on wood)
    David

3. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

My guess would be the penetrating oil is causing the problems. The infantry guys know to keep their weapons as oil free as possible in the desert because the oil just attracts more sand and grit and causes malfunctions. That's what the oil is doing to your fertilizer. Keep it dry.

4. Envi-Lawn

Envi-Lawn LawnSite Member
    from CT

meets, i'm having the same problem with my new pg as well. It gets real hard to open/close the shoot after 2-3 bags. The guys at pg say a daily rinsing out at the end of the day helps. I try that, but by the second or third stop, its sticking. I tried a silicone spray. it works better than wd-40. Does anyone else have a suggestion?

5. meets1

EnviLawn, exactly! I called - they told me to rinse and clean the machine everyday. Ok, I do but I can't be doing that after every couple of bags. I may use different fert. but it is a commercial grade - and spreads great when working. I have even lossen the under carriage to clean out but stills goes on.

I try to pratice a cleaning out after a 2-3 bagges go thru the machine but that is 1 yard worth of time to me. I spray the thing off every nite - gotta impress people with clean, new, machine but what a pain.

Has anyone heard of using Telk powder? I thought of this while in church today?

6. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Lol......

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, someone had just mentioned this, either here or on another forum.

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah, they mentioned using a Talc powder they got from their John Deere dealership.

9. meets1

I may try that. I hate losing time trying to clean the thing out during the day as well as not seeing a good spread pattern coming out of the hopper.

10. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

I think the problem is the little arm that spins (centri ) or shakes (ultra) That is moving all the time and it is breaking down the fert into a fine powder, thats whats clogging.

Ive taken mine off and I use a drop in mesh basket to keep clumps from clogging.

The other problem is these spreaders are walk behind spreaders added to the machine, remember when your spreading with a walk behind and your gettting close to empty you gottta tip the spreader or bounce it a little to get all the fert out, Well with these machines you cant do that and all that powder builds up.

With the pg people is another great case of us ( the people who pay for them ) being their R&D dept. And when you call them they are always first to blame us for not "cleaning" the machine correctly.

When I first got my ultra and called the first day to complain on the tiny gas tank, I asked Pat if anyone ever tried to do a days production with the machine before they gave the green light.

He said, "we drove it around the parking lot, everything seemed fine"

What a joke, makes me feel good that I ve spent 10k with that kinda company