1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Perma Green spreader problem

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lawn Solutions, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Lawn Solutions

Lawn Solutions LawnSite Member
    from midwest

For those who have had problems with the slide gate at the bottom of the spreader sticking and getting gunked up I used talc powder that my local John Deere puts out for for use in its ag
    planters and it works great!

I have tried spraying with silicone in past with not much luck...PG
    suggested using car wax on the slides which was a pain. With the talc powder I fill my hopper about half way then add 1 tbs of talc then fill hopper and spinkle some more on top. It started raining today when I was spreading and it didn't foul up...before anytime it got humid it seemed my gate would gunk up.

I don't know if regular talc you by at the drug store is the same as this but looks the same.
  2. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Hey where in the midwest are you at? I am located midwest as well. My Pg machine was deleiver today! Tomorrow I am going to try it out. What do you use for herb. and fert? Products or name brand?
  3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Just wondering where you guys get your PG's at?? I'm in Minnesota waiting for my local Lesco Service? Center to get one in, since they said they'd hold one for me 2 weeks ago. Wondering if I'm going to have to start driving to get one myself?
  4. Lawn Solutions

Lawn Solutions LawnSite Member
    from midwest

I'm in Kansas and get most of my fertilizers and chemicals from Lesco. I use Momentum selective when temps are above 60 degrees and Lesco Three-way ester when below. Both seem to work well with the PG. It takes a while to get used to using the machine...just remember that on hilly terrain your going to have to get off the machine and "chase" it around in order not to tear up turf. Also, I use the toggle switch that activates the sprayer in the "on demand" mode, in other words holding the toggle up to spray and letting off to stop spraying. The other postition is down and this keeps the sprayer running constantly...I would get off the machine to pick up a limb or something and forget to turn sprayer off, saturating the area with highly concentrated 2-4D...not good!

I bought my PG last year direct thru Perma Green. My lesco dealer wasn't to happy about it after he found out but I didn't pay sales tax either.
  5. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

6. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

7. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

Buy direct and save a couple hundred bucks. Remember if you need a repair the local dealers are not required to repair it. If you have warranty work they will bill you for it and you will have to recover the warranty cost from the manufacture.

Personally I would rather continue my relations with a local distributor than save a few hundred bucks.
  8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I actually spent $100 more buying direct from PermaGreen. Lesco couldn't tell me when they'd see one in the store for me. I was in the beginning of March, and they said they'd hold one for me. I even offered to put money down, to purchase it so the next one would be mine, but they said that was illegal. Never heard of such a thing. If you order something, usually you HAVE to put some money down on the purchase so you don't walk away. I ended up calling PG yesterday and have the unit in my garage tonight. Wouldn't be a big deal, but I live in MN and they're in IN, fast response.

Anyways, I don't do that many applications, 4 applications/year on 30 accounts, just wanted to get my work done easier than dragging that stinkin 400' hose around. Couldn't justify the extra $2000 for the z-spray.

After 15 years in the business, I've learned that your better off having the piece of equipment in your garage, than the money in the bank waiting as the grass is turning green and you're waiting for something that's "on order".
  9. turf78

turf78 LawnSite Member

No shipping charge with LESCO
  10. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Amen to that