Perma-green Ultra comments

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lawn Solutions, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Lawn Solutions

Lawn Solutions LawnSite Member
    from midwest

Anybody have any comments...good or bad...concerning the Perma-green Ultra. Is it really improved?

I thinking of writing a check for one and would like somebody to talk me out of it:)

2. looked at one at lesco the other day, like them have heard good things about them , but for what they cost they are the sloppiest built i ever saw, burns from welds, and slag splatter all over. You'd think they would clean it up a little.

3. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

That would last for a few minutes. Majority of the equiptment I see at the local Quik-Trips all look llike helll anyway:)

It's always facinating how someone will spend thousands of dollars only to abuse the crap out of it within days. Than scratch their butt and wonder why it's not running or breaking down all the time.

Don't let the rough appearance shy you away. The guys I know that hve a Perma-Green can run 15 plus acres a day commercial turf. They will pay for themselves if you have the property to support them

M

4. Lawn Solutions

from midwest

man...I've been looking at past threads on the perma green and it seems guys either hate them or love them

There seems to be some major improvements. Lesco dealers are pretty pumped about them...suprise.

5. KLR

KLR LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

Good question Lawn Solutions, I just gave them a credit card number.......

I own 2 older models. Some days I love them, other days i hate them. I did just order the new Ultra model, seems they have addressed many of the problems we have had with our older models.

After going back and forth between perma green and the Z-spray/spreader i decided to give perma green another chance.(keeping my fingers crossed that the improvements are for real)

I will say this, Perma Green has outstanding customer service. Personally I would not recommend purchasing thru Lesco, buy direct!

6. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

KLR what is the advantage of buying direct? I would think there are advantages of having the unit set up prior to picking it up.

M

7. KLR

KLR LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

Mscotrid, the perma green machine comes 'set up' whether you buy through a dealer (lesco) or direct.

advantages in my opinion for buying direct......
    you deal with the folks who make the product, they have much more knowledge of their product than a dealer

each time i have bought the machine i talked with Tom, the owner of the company and he has answered any and all questions

buy direct and you wont pay sales tax (unless your in Indiana)

buy direct and machine is delivered to your door, buy thru dealer and you go pick it up (convenience, i love it)

buy direct and the manufactorer knows who you are, they have any and all parts you may need and will ship overnite

buy direct and perma green gives you a 110% money back guarantee if you do not love the machine within the first 100 hours of operation ( i dont think lesco gives that guarantee, i know of a couple of guys who bought thru lesco and they were unaware of any such guarantee)

now, I have asked questions about the machine at lesco, and i get 'well, i dont know but i can call perma green and find out for you'......why do i need them to call for me? perma green has a toll free # that i can call myself.

well, those are the reasons i come up with off the top of my head, probably could come up with more if i start to think about it.

anyway, to each his own

8. Lawn Solutions

from midwest

You are right KLR...

No sales tax and delivered to your door.

I have meeting with the Lesco guy next week to look at one but I think if I buy it will be through Perma-green. I haven't asked Lesco what their price is but it will be hard to beat the no sales tax!

I plan on welding up my own carrying rack similar to what Perma-green sells...unless it can be bought fairly cheap. Does anybody know what they cost? I forgot to ask Aaron at Perma-green the other day when I called Indiana.

9. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

How old are your 2 units. What were their problems? Mine is 2 yr old and has under a 1,000 hr. Has been pretty trouble free till this winter when some sealed bearings went bad. The new ones are greasable.

10. KLR

KLR LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

HBFOX, i know the bearings you speak of, went thru a couple until they finally put grease fittings on them.

seem to go thru many drive belts

hopper cables

constant break adjustment

But my biggest complaint is the spray system. the generator doesnt supply the pump with enough power to get the 9-11ft spray pattern. we get 4 ft. if it was just one machine i'd think i got a lemon, but same problem on both. we've replaced the belts, replaced the pumps, still only 4 ft spray width. so they tell me its most likely the generator. we did clean everything, pressure releave valve, jet tee nozzels and the actual lines.

and the other major disappointment has been the hopper itself. i have found that when you open the hopper, the cable actually opens hopper wider than what you have it set for at times. tough to discribe but i find that sometimes the stainless steel plate slides open more than what you have it set for (making any sence to you, tough for me to discribe) anyway it does cause an ununiform app (streaks) So if i open the hopper....and never shut it off...i'll get a good uniform app...except of course for the edges which get a heavier app but really not noticable during the growing season. drive by a lawn now and you can see the greener color around perimeter of property.

machines are 2000 models (3 seasons of use) and they have less than 300 hours. so you can see we limit our use with them.

I've talked to others who have had the same problems. funny, you get 20 owners in a room and guaranteed 10 will totally love it and 10 will still be trying to decide.

anyway, the new 'ultra' model seems to have addressed these problems

no more hopper cable, now the have a direct rod (like a standard lesco spreader)

no more generator, now an alternator directly on engine

that bearing thing is gone, only 1 belt, drive belt, other 2 belts eliminated

pressure releave valve is no longer in tank, now mounted outside of tank

totally diferent brake system (foot break)

so, it seems they are getting a better product.

ask me in May how I like it LOL