Perma Green Ultra question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by philk17088, Jun 1, 2005.

1. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I have the Ultra with the B-S engine. The problem I have is that when you take on a short steep incline or a bumpy terrain it coughs and sputters like it is fuel-starved. This makes for a crappy ride and who knows what it does to application rates. It does it if the fuel tank is full or near empty so I eliminated a fuel tank problem. Maybe sloshing in the carb bowl?
    Do any of you have this problem?

I know there are some here who have nothing good to say about the PG but I'm looking for a solution.
    Oh and I did have a break down last week.The pump died. PG overnighted a new one to me at no cost. It seems the pumps have an internal wiring problem. More of Sureflo's problem than PGs.

2. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

Glad you asked because I have an almost new machine (20hrs) with the same problem.

3. lush&green

lush&green LawnSite Member

Mine does the same...I think it is just the engine is under powered...42 hrs. Received the new pump last week. Seems to be working fine otherwise.

4. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

I started having the same problem with my Ultra a few weeks ago and stumbled onto a solution. Try closing the choke 1 or 2 clicks not all the way just half or so and it should take care of the problem. I tried it out of desperation one day and it worked .

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Do yours do the same thing sometimes when you jam on the gas from a standstill? Mine does. Almost like it wants to rap a little bit.

6. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks robertsturf, I'll give it a try.

7. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Joe, Yes it does almost like it isn't getting enough fuel or something. I am considering fabricating a bracket and adding a larger fuel tank , something like a stander tank, I think 3 gallons sounds better than a few ounces. Should be pretty simple to do. I am going do this in the off season when time permits.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm thinking the same exact thing.

9. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I tried the choke position thing and it worked.
    I have added an aux tank above the left wheel next to the squirt bottle bracket(which I lost the other day!). It holds a gallon and avoids the spillage all over the motor. Best thing I ever did.

10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've had the sputtering problem too.

What I've done, is when I first start it up, I let it idle with full choke until it starts to "sputter", then shut the choke down and you should be good to go.

I've used to have to run in full choke, or at least 1/2 choke in the past, but since I've started to do this technique, it's worked pretty good.

Almost like the fuel pump isn't pushing enough fuel through right away.

If I started it up, and took off right away, without waiting the 6-10 seconds, it would spit and sputter. Now it runs just fine if I wait.