Perma Green user's

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by meets1, Oct 23, 2005.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have the Ultra - 2 years of service and things are starting to need replacing. Belt, fan and slide controls, now the slide under the hopper as a pin hole leak in it, just replaced my pump, magnetic needle in the engine,. Is this to be expected? And how many of you guys own the new PG machines? I am thinking of adding one next year just so we can keep up with all our customers. Needless to say, all has been well with the machine to this point.

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I picked-up a new pg this spring, I had one a few years ago when they first came out and didnt really like it but they have made alot of improvments in the transmission, engine, boomless sprayer and the drivebelt system to name a few. thinking of adding another next year, they are great for 5k-2ac size lawns but if you have larger size lawns you should check out the z-spray too !

3. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

We also have a few Ultras that we run. Those parts are normal to have to replace. Belts usually once a year, maybe twice. Pumps can vary a lot, if you spray Speedzone, get a Flo-Jet pump online. Don't use the Shu-Flo Perma-Green has on these machines. Throttle cables and other misc. parts, replace once a year. We haven't had to do much to the engine, except grease the starter motor. That takes about 15-20 min. Otherwise, the Ultra is a good machine. It requires less maintenance than the older Centris we have. If you have any questions, feel free to ask... Scott

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What do you grease on the starter motor? The bendix?

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Starter motor???? What's that??? :rolleyes:

6. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I would also like to know about the starter? I can feel that mine is getting a little weak. When it is cool out in the mornings and I am getting ready to load machine, I pull the recoil on the machine, starter will hardly take off. One more day and I hope to finish up my route of fert/spray clients.

7. Forever Green Lawn

For the Ultras with electric start, I will take the starter apart and grease the gear box and inside the motor itself, we grease the bearings. The outside bearing has a tendency to rust. I do this in the winter and maybe mid-season if necessary.
    I haven't had to do much with the recoil starter, but sometimes I'll hit it with a light oil. Scott

8. BigCity

BigCity LawnSite Member

How many hours have you put in on yours. I have really only had to replace the pump at 400hrs. I have the SE1, I hope they made some improvements on the new model. It seems to lack power.

9. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I have 195 hrs on mine and had to replace a pump(internal wire broke) a throttle cable( broke in the middle).
    The starter thing is kinda bizarre, I spray wd-40 at thte top where I can get at it when it starts to sound sick.
    I had a flat the other day on the rear wheel and had to replace the tube.
    Question??????
    How do you add the anti-freeze for ballast to the tube??
    Is their a special pump to do that?

10. Forever Green Lawn

I'm not sure about the anti-freeze, haven't had to do that yet. I have about 600 hours on one and about 150 on the others. The Ultras seem to have good power, more than the Centris. If yours is lacking, check your tach at full throttle and make sure you are about 3600 rpm. Scott