Perma-Green vs. Vicon

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by paullyllama, Feb 25, 2008.

1. paullyllama

paullyllama LawnSite Member
    from mpls,mn

Question?

Thoughts on applying larger properties...

Best to go with Permagreen or to go with Vicon?

2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

This is an 'apples and oranges' question, in my opinion.
    Vicons are fert only, driven by a separate unit.
    PG's are fert, and liquid weed control, all self-contained.

Obviously, the Vicon gives you a tremendously better fertilizer throw, and are better for wide-open areas with no obstacles whatsoever...like sports turf, for instance.

I've got a Vicon, but no PG.

I average about a 12' -14' swath with the Vicon on my soccer fields; and I have my own home-made tank, pump & boom system for the weeds that is completely separate.
    ( I don't abide with the antiquated concept of 'automatic' timed weed control apps; instead, I go at it a different angle: I thicken the turf to crowd out the weeds so I don't have to use chemicals so much !)

Perma Greens are great for properties where you have to constantly weave in and out of trees, buildings, and other obstacles with your equipment.

I don't have that issue as much in my accounts.

What I have run in to with the Vicon, though, is the fiberglass spout breaking too easily.
    So three years ago...I ordered one...then had it "copied" (relatively inexpensively, in the long run) by someone in Middletown Ohio who was able to reproduce it in thicker cast aluminum.
    (Shhhhhh !!! Don't tell Vicon ! :rolleyes:)

So far, so good!
    It's easily outlasted the fiberglass spouts, and having this done has easily paid for itself.

3. paullyllama

from mpls,mn

what do you use with the vicon, ie, tractor or direct mount via truckster or JD pro-gator, workman. I am leaning towards the Vicon but the estimate for the unit are making me blind

4. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Just a simple PTO hookup to my (American made) :usflag: Farm Boss tractor, with turf tires.

http://www.tractor-outlet.com/tomodels.html

Then my 100 gallon tank sprayer / boom configuration slides right onto a 3 pt. hitch, on this same unit.

5. paullyllama

from mpls,mn

don't mean to be a pest but what model of vicon with what model of tractor. I currently have a kubota 7500 pretty much sitting idle most of the time. Interested due to weight capacity