Perma Green, what's the deal...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by oOTurfmanoO, Jul 7, 2006.

1. oOTurfmanoO

oOTurfmanoO LawnSite Member

with three holes being set independently? With a traditional walk behind rotary spreader, you calibrate and set the setting accordingly i.e 14, F, and so on.

I dislike the idea of a different setting for each hole.

Any comments on this?

2. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

The PG sets like a Lesco spreader. Their manual makes it seem a lot more complicated than it really is. The third hole adjustment on the PGs produces a much better pattern than a Lesco. Adjust the PG to get a good distribution pattern and then field calibrate to the material the same as you would for any spreader.

3. oOTurfmanoO

I guess what I meant was why the heck would they design something like this?
    Are there three different adjustments for the Z-Spray? I am just curious!

I know someone out there has to be using a lesco based program. If so what settings work best for you?

4. LarryMead

LarryMead LawnSite Member

hey guys 1st time to post hope this is the right place
    i just got a new customer who just sodded thier yard with buffalo grass
    i need suggestions on weed control and recomended mowing ht and frequancy
    iam getting conflicing info from the dist

5. sclawndr

No, the Zspray uses a Spyker hopper, which only has one big hole. Works a lot better than a Lesco style hopper in that regard. The PG unit does a better job of pattern distribution than a Lesco spreader because of the third hole adjustment. Most Lesco spreaders are heavy to the right side, especially if you get material buildup on the spinner plate. The Zspray unit has a great pattern also.

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

keep the spiner clean and it works fine for a pg

7. oOTurfmanoO

these are all great replies.
    Does anyone have actual spreader settings they are willing to share?

8. sclawndr

Don't rely on other people's spreader settings - you're only inviting trouble. Take a few minutes to at least field calibrate the unit. Do a few lawns, add up the square footage and figure out how much material you've used and compare it to what you should have used. Example - a bag of 32-5-7 covers 15,600 SF at 1 lb/1000. So if you used more than one bag on a 15000 SF lawn, you're too heavy. If you used less, you're too light. If this all seems too much fuss or too complicated, you'd be a typical homeowner and you're in the wrong business.

9. oOTurfmanoO

First of all, thanks for the reply!
    It is not a matter of fuss, but more of a convenience factor. I have re-calibrated my w/b rotary so many times to achieve proper rates that my home lawn can take no more!

I used the PG one time in the field for a granular app. It was very humid and we all know this will play a significant role in the distribution patterns. I just felt that it wasn't doing what it should. The app. looked light! Needless to say, I used it the rest of the day for my spraying but walked behind my rotary for all other granular apps.

I blown quite a bit of limestone on my yard in an effort to calibrate the PG and haven't had much success. But then again, I think the environmental conditions play a huge role in this.*newusflag*

10. sclawndr

First, you won't get the benefit of the PG if you don't use it as often as you can. You made my point - this is exactly why field calibration is so important. Calibration is important because you don't want to underapply (ineffective) or overapply (wasted money). I could tell you that in the case of 32-5-7 for example, that I set mine on number 14 to get 1 pound of N but that wouldn't give you anything more than a starting point. But that doesn't tell you anything since your machine and mine may not cover 1000 SF in the same time.