perma green

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by broske, May 1, 2006.

1. broske

broske LawnSite Member

My boss just bought a perma green today.He bought it because I said that it was a great machine and a time saver.I wanted to get some tips on mixes and operating speed or is it trial and error.It's a new machine to me so any advice would be great.Yes i'm licenced in o&t and arborist in ct. somebody always seems to ask so I thought I would put that in there.

2. broske

broske LawnSite Member

Yes it came with instructions but you get people who have used them alot who know the machine and can help with some pointers.I've used tank sprayers but I have'nt used one of these before.Just looking for info.Thanks

3. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it the Centri, Ultra or Magnum? If you do a search you'll probably hit 200 threads talking about the PG's.

4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well,
    I just got my new Magnum at the start of this season, here's what i learn straight out on the first day,
    1) when doing steep slopes, don't do it with a full hopper ( unless you weigh more than the fert in the hopper) I flew thru the air with the greatest of ease, the sulkey makes a great catapult! I thought once i lost control side sloping that I would ride it out to the bottom of the hill, NOT! drive wheels had a little too much traction for that to happen, they don't freewheel very well. No injuries other than my pride, dumped the full load, cleaned it up really good, No burn.
    2) practice on your own lawn, not a clients, Thats what I did but, my lawn has no steep slopes, so I learned that part at the clients.
    3) don't drop off a curbed Island with a full hopper ( once again, unless you weigh more than whats in the hopper)
    4) I have not done this yet but, be careful not to stop with out the gate shut tight. ( fert burn for sure, judging by how fast it feeds)
    5) Be careful!!

5. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

you really need to get it out and just get used to it, luckily in Indy we don't have a lot of hills! they are a little tricky on hills. I carry a small hand held spreader for any small areas I cant get into with the PG. and a chest spreader for the 2 or 3 backyards I cant get into and any hilly areas I don't want to attempt!

6. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Make sure your top running rpms are 3450. This gives you the speed you need for factory calibrations. Measure a half-acre or larger. Spray it and check the volume of liquid you use. Use the small nozzles at high gear. This will stretch your liquid. I never use low gear. The machine hangs on slopes pretty good, but use light loads. It looks easy, but your arms get tired if doing a lot of hills.

7. broske

broske LawnSite Member

thanks for the tips guys I did notice that the top rpm is 3300.Is that a huge deal to get the full 3450 out of it.By the way I think my weight will be enough to keep it on the ground 235.I'll have to take it out a practice on my yard I've got a couple of acres with small hills.Thanks again for the help.

8. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

3450 will give you a little more power and speed. You need to losen the throttle screw by the carb. Pull the cable a little and tighten the clamp.

9. broske

broske LawnSite Member

Thanks grandview.I'll try that.