Perma Green

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RigglePLC, Mar 14, 2007.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Took my Perma Green Ultra out for a spin while i am waiting for snow to melt. However, it has been very stiff to shift gears for years and now it is worse. I have to shift with both hands and still use full strength--although I am not at all big.

Does anybody have suggestions? Do I need tranny oil? Where do I put it?

On the other hand, it started with the electric start within 3 seconds. Of course I had the battery charger on it for 6 hours yesterday.

I sprayed a little antifreeze on the drive. It only sprays 3 feet on each side, a total of nine feet wide.

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Your 9' spray, tilt the nozzles up a bit more, so the spray comes out in something of a slight arch.

As for the tranny, no help here. Call PG themselves, they've always helped me out.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure all your joints and pivot points have lithium grease, or better yet spray silicone on them (true silicone, not WD40). This includes all the joints underneath the front end - right up to the pivot pin that goes into the tranny. these these corrode up and get sticky. Do the same thing with your hopper slides. Take it apart from the bottom of the hopper. you have to pop the cap off to get the oscillator off from inside the hopper. This way, the whole assembly drops from the bottom. Clean the slides and clean all the dust out of the grooves, as well. What happens, is the fert prills get stuck in there, crushed up and bound up in there - then the slides get sticky. This results in the slides not closing all the way and even more so, opening and closing real hard. If you clean this out, lube it up with silicone (again, true silicone) spray, this thing will open and close effortlessly - like it is brand new.
    I had mine out yesterday. Drained the antifreeze, flushed it and filled it about half way up with water. Took the nozzles all apart, cleaned them all out and reset the spray pattern. Will probably change filter and oil tomorrow, and do whatever I need to with the air filter (see what it looks like). I'm ready to go, and it looks like I'll be into some cleanup and rd.1 action within the next couple of days.

4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Our shifters also get stiff after a few days. We spray all the moving shifter parts with a 3-in-one oil. Especially under the front plastic covers.

We do the same with the clutch when it starts getting stiff.