Perma green?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by steve in Pa., Dec 30, 2003.

1. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

thinking of purchasing one for next years applications. Anybody have one? whats the pros and cons on these riders? Do they really save as much time as they say?? Doing aps now with lesco 200 gallon sprayer and lesco spreaders.
  2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Take a look in the current issue of Turf mag. I 'think' there is an review article in there.;) ;)
  3. tennissippi

tennissippi LawnSite Member
    from zone 7b

Buy one! It is the best investment you will ever make. I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything. I used to spray with a 150 gallon sprayer and hated it.....then spread. Now I spray/spread at the same time(no fatique). I'm telling ya, if you demo one be prepared to buy it b/c you will never go back to the skid sprayer/walk-behind spreader.
  4. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a z spray stand on hydraulic instead of the permagreen. I demo'd both first. Very pleased with the z spray.
  5. ANDY-W

ANDY-W LawnSite Member
    from IN

6. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns LawnSite Member

I have a Perma Green that is three two years old. I like it very much. The newer ones are even better designed.

I started out by walking a Lesco push spreader and a 4 gal. back pack sprayer for one entire season treating 150 residential lawns. When I went to the Perma Green I cut my overall labor by over 40%. Secondly, I noticed a measurable decrease in product used (move savings) and a very visible improved effectiveness in both greening and weed control. By the second year using the Perma Green on the same lawns I noticed a huge improvement in weed control and cut my liquid use in half. I have since also changed my pricing for new customers to adjust for the higher usage. Moreover, I only have about 100 hours on the unit after two years of use servicing about 150 lawns 5 times per season.

The steady ground speed is the key even in residential lawns. If I was doing more larger commercial type acreage I would look at the Z unit linked here. I run a 52" Great Dane SS for mowing and the Z looks alot like that design. I think the Z would be the way to go for the larger job. For residential lawns in the 5,000 to 1-1.5 acres the Perma Green will make you money QUICK.
  7. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

OK, I have asked questions about the Permagreen unit before, but I am still considering buying one so here goes another question to those who have one. What do you guys do when spraying lawns if the width does not allow you to make complete passes without causing serious overlap on the last pass? The main advantage I can see for pulling a hose is that you can pretty much control exactly where the liquid goes and can adjust spray swath width on the fly to cover everything without overlapping too much. Have you had trouble with burning any grass when making that last pass and maybe overlapping too much due to the set spray width? What's your technique? I only have experience with skid sprayers and backpacks so anyone with boom experience can chime in here.
  8. smoke johnson

smoke johnson LawnSite Member

wasn't the perma green devolped a long time ago. i just got my new Z spray last week and could not be any happier. the new hydro hopper is a great addition to an already great machime
  9. tennissippi

tennissippi LawnSite Member
    from zone 7b

The Perma-green was developed 8 yrs....well 9 yrs ago now. Each year the design gets better and easier to use/maintain. There are no hydrolics(thank god) to the PG and contrary to what 4evergreenlawns said...they are great on large estates (2+ acres). Plus, they are a breeze to calibrate.

To answer your question goes. You can shut off one of your spray nozzles and spray a half width pattern(about 5'). It great for trimming around landscaping/trees. I have only experienced slight discoloration but you can get with a using a skid sprayer.
  10. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns LawnSite Member

Well just to be clear, I think I said,

"I think the Z would be the way to go for the larger job. For residential lawns in the 5,000 to 1-1.5 acres the Perma Green will make you money QUICK."

This was not meant to imply that the unit is not effective on larger job sites. I have found that after running the unit on larger jobs with only a 8 gallon tank it takes time to go back to the truck to refill chemicals. Also, with the pivoting and all the weight forward on the Perma Green over longer runs can get tiring. I never feel beat up on my Dane Surfer and the Z looks alot the same with a nice stable platform for the operator to ride on. Therefore, I could see if you were doing several larger job site in one day on a regular basis I think the Z might be a better option with the larger capacities of both liquid and dry chemicals.

Turfsurfer, I have not found there to be any problems with over lapping. Maybe because I only put down liquid weed control so the amount and type of liquid I am putting down does not have a bad effect. I think when you are doing an ALL liquid application with a hose you are more concerned with the over spay issues. Also as mentioned you can control each side of unit independently as well if you so chose. In the two years and about 2,000 lawns treated I have not seen any burning at all. I have seen some discoloration in lawns with heavy weeds where an over lapping liquid application for weed control has been laid but that is normal and is gone as the weeds clear up with cuts. This is not from burning. I have also yet to stripe a lawn either, I have seen happen way too often from guys with push spreader wanting to get done quick and lapping too wide.

With the trailer hitch platform I can go out for a day with just the Perma Green, a pallet of fert and 200 gallons of liquid in just my P/U while the cutting crew is out in the other truck with the trailer. I do no see that happening with the Z. So there is always pro's and con's to everything.

When considering purchasing any type of equipment the operator has to consider the existing and possible future account list and make up of of the company. Although, I have service residential accounts over the past years, because of the direction of my company I am cutting out most all of my residential customers and going only commercial.

I am tired of countless hours spent on phone calls about the what to do about nothing from residential customers. The general treatment from residential customers wanting to pay as little as possible to think they own you as there personal gardener seems to just get worst as you add customers. And lets not get started on the endless amount of dog crap you have to dealt with day in and day out from the people that hire you for weekly cut and catch only service so they do not have to clean up the mess their three labs leave in the yard. For all of you that will say how much money you are making doing residential landscape work, you can have that too. I am tired of the repeat calls of, "can you come back and take a look at" only to find a brick knocked over by the kid, or a bush stepped on. As I have grown the commercial side of my business I have found myself to be dealing with more professional working people who understand what they want and the meaning of what is takes to get a job done. I hardly ever get any calls from my commercial clients, have had a huge increase in referral business, and have been given the same level of service to both. But enough on that soap box and back on topic.

Seeing how I already own the Perma Green and it has yielded huge ROI I will continue to service my commercial accounts with the unit. But if I find myself on larger job sites (1 acre plus) more regularly I will strongly consider the change to a Z based on the capacities, design, and comfort. Just how I look at things. Might not be the same for the next guy. I look at the snow portion of the business the same way.