1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Perma-Green's and weed controls

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by MrBarefoot, Nov 4, 2003.

1. I started looking at perma-green's for consideration for use next season.

During my review, I found that they spray weed control at the max rate of 30 oz/1000 sq ft.

I found this odd since the labels for the common products that we use for weed control allow for no less then .5 gallon or 64 oz/1000 sq ft.

I asked the Lesco guys if there was a product labeled for use at the Perma-Green rate and they where not able to help me right away and said they would look into it.

What weed controls are being used by the perma-green owners right now and did you have to make any changes to your spray system in order to get at least .5 gal/1000 sq ft?

Or do you have a product that has a label rate that works for the perma green?

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

What product are you using????

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i use the high flow tips in the low speed range and get more flow as for the oz per 1000 it varies as to the tip it is a great machine to spread with but a bit of a pain in the azz to kill weeds with it takes some practice and u can burn eazy with it if u overlap to much but i would still recommend it as it cuts spreading time in half
  4. This season, I used Momentum and Trimec Plus. The label for Momentum allows for as little as .5 gallon/1000, and Trimec Plus needs at least a gallon.

I would be glad to entertain the idea of changing products in order to stay on label, and achieve the max productivity out of the Perma-Green.
  5. tennissippi

tennissippi LawnSite Member
    from zone 7b

I realize your concern because that was my concern too when I purchased one. However, I have been using mine now for about three months and I have never had a problem with leaf burn and I have gotten excellent weed control. You are given a calibration chart when you purchase the PG and that is what I go by. Like Dustycedar sayed....be careful not to overlap too much.

I would never make any changes to my sprayer. Right now I'm using Princept and Trimec 922 for fall Pre-emergent.
  6. mikeswag

mikeswag LawnSite Member

buy higher concentrations...ask your lesco rep

my trimec rates are 1.1 - 1.5 ozs./1000 ft

I don't have a single chemical over 8 ozs./m
    rarely do I have a curative fungicide over 8 ozs./m

good luck,

7. My primary concern is trying to stay on label with a given weed control.

If I understand regulations, it is against regulations to use a product in a manner not allowed by the label. If the label states that the concentrate must be mixed at 1.1 to 1.5 oz, with at least .5 gallons of water and applied to at least 1000 sq. ft. Then to mix it with less water then the label specifies is applying the product in violation of the labels direction and could possibly give my states Dept. of Agriculture a witch to hunt.

I have heard numerous rave reviews about the perma greens, and I look forward to brining one into my operation. But I feel it is very important to work within the boundaries set by the labels of any products, and I plan to do so.

I was wondering how other people overcame this or if they sprayed out the lower unapproved rates.

I value all the input so far, please keep them coming.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There are certain products that fall under the category of usable, and ones that do not, based on their labeling. For instance, for broadleaf weed control, Mecamine is usable,...while 3 way is not. You just have to sort od research around to find what ones are usable. Some of the labels list the product as x amount of onces per M OR mixed to y gallon(s) of water. Some specify both.
  9. tennissippi

tennissippi LawnSite Member
    from zone 7b

I guess I'm going to get burned at the stake:angry:
    On a serious note...I respect your view on this matter. That does cause concern spraying less than .5 gallons per K. However, I haven't heard any officials complain or try to hunt anyone down that uses the PG sprayer or any low volume sprayer. And if that is against they law, then why doesn't the Government step in and prevent the manufactoring of low volume equipment?

Perhaps I should write the Chemical Co. and request they include a section for low volume equipment.?

I guess if you feel uncomfortable spraying at 30 oz/K you could always change the nozzle size to get the .5 gallons/K that you want.