1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Perma Solution

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by turf hokie, Dec 7, 2004.

1. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I just wanted to follow up on the problem that I was having with my PG. If you guys remember the machine was changing it's calibration all by itself.

Well, after all the ranting and raving I did here, I just wanted to follow up with the progress that was made for me.

Lesco, where I bought the machine, bent over backwards for me and they will have my business for a long time. They went into the field with me to get the info. that PG was requesting to go back to PG and find a solution to my problem. They got Tom on the phone (the owner-CEO) who didn't deny the problem, they simply had not run into it before. So after some back and forth b/t Lesco and PG we have come up with what seems to be an amicable solution to get the machine back to 100%. PG was very cordial and adamant about finding out what they could do to fix the problem. The PG has a place in my business and I wanted to find a solution and not just abandon the machine. So I was very happy when all involved came up with a fix.

So after all the down time, frustration and venting on this site. I thought it was only right to openly say thankyou to all involved, especially to LESCO who heavily went to bat for me. There is something to be said about vendor relationships, sometimes it not always about price.

Thankyou and now I will get off my box.

2. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Never ran into the problem before, Thats simply not true, From day one with my ultra it didnt spread lime or fert-a-lime, well it spread it fine, but the slide never shuts. Just run 1 or 2 bags thru and the slide plate is stuck, Everbody in my area has the same problem, When I brought it up to PG, they told me they never tested it with lime, so they where clueless on why it happens.

Turf , whats the amicable solution you came up with?

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

yeah i would like to hear what they did to fix it

4. lush&green

lush&green LawnSite Member

Yeah yeah!!! Spit it out!

5. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

After all that, please don't tell me you keep it :dizzy:

6. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

They are going to mount the new magnum 150# hopper on my unit. The untra and centri were originally tested for the frame to handle a 150# of product. It also has a more direct slide plate shut-off mechanism more similar to the Lesco 80# hopper. Less linkage to be loose and get play in it. It will be a prototype that they have been looking at since the inception of the magnum. If my machine performs as my mechanic at Lesco and PG feel this design will, it will become an upgrade for the centri and ultra units. So this may benefit all of us in the long run.

James-
    They did this change on the magnum to address the slide plate issue of not closing all the way.

My problem was not with the plate not shutting, the plate was recalibrating itself. For example my last round was 32-5-7 at a lesco guide of 14. After 7 minutes, the Lesco guys timed it, the Pg had adjusted itself to a lesco guide of 10.

7. James Cormier

from Ma

Very interesting, I have a feeling PG might not have like that info to get out, because in fairness we all have that problem with our machines, not just yours, The reason for the recalibrating was because of the material causing the slide plate to stick either open or closed, that is why my arm eventually broke.

Now when they came up with the ultra model they gave up with everyone with centri's, didnt offer upgrades to those machines, Now they come up with the magnum and they will abandon all ultra owners. Thats why the big pull to get the new machine is the chance to win a trip to Hawaii

8. ForeverGreen

ForeverGreen LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

Looked at the new Magnum at the Columbus Oh show today and must say it will be no fun to work on, was considering it due to the Honda and looks like the hopper will work the same as the old Lesco (ULTRA) one to me.Lots of plastic for the additional $700.00 over the old Magnum.Rope start only and no one could tell me if this engine had the "oil alert" built in as I believe it does and will be shutting down on slopes. Give this unit a year at best in the field to see what is weak. Two aisles over was LT Rich and a good crowd of people and most complaining about their experiences with PG. I have run my PG for 160 hours to date with 3 new batteries 2 starters 3 clutches 4 drive belts and 1 new trans axle.(pump should go anytime) All were warranted,I dont seem to have the slide plate or shut off problem but feel I need to clean hopper (hose out) every day before shutdown. I run a lot of 4-4.5 lb per 1m sq on setting 5, (28-3-10 Scotts /Anderson etc etc)Have run with the hopper extension from day one and always 150 lb fert and 8 gallon water to start. Mine does spray 11- 12 ft but have to have the tip screens very,very cleanWill also demo a z JR prior to spring,Always looking to improve the equipment , As mentioned on this site before LT Rich is willing to use any combo of engines hoppers booms tanks etc you want for your operation. I talkes with them for 45 minutes from a sales person who also builds some of the machines. He really knew his "stuff" Perhaps PG will start to listen to the concerns in the field at some point but seem to have a lot of unhappy ULTRA owners. I have read for many months about the PG and Z spray concerns and comments and saw it for myself today at the Turf Show . Ted, ForeverGreen "Lawns and Ponds"www.cleanponds.com

9. James Cormier

from Ma

Good post Ted, My comment on the slide plate was only when using Lime or Fertalime. You ( operator ) cant get thru one bag with out this problem, so cleaning it is not the answer to that problem.

I would like to send my PG to Tom Rich, and have him upgrade the machine with hydro drive, better hopper & sprayer size, and a few other tweeks.

10. ForeverGreen

ForeverGreen LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

Ran a few pallets of gypsum and had a lot of fines collect and collection on spinner but my pull type Spyker does the same thing. Had a lot of "CRUNCH" having the meter set on 10 on PG and setting to "mulch" on Spyker I would not want to do that often, I dont spread much lime as Im usually trying to reduce PH and only use 6 LB elemental sulfur per 1M sq to knock the ph about .5 at a time. I have a lot of 7.7-7.9 high cec low OM soils. I expect that if I keep the PG I will encounter more of the same as everyone with more hours on.My reservation on the Z with the spyker prior to buying the PG was all the trouble I had getting a pattern with the pull unit that only saw limited lawns in the early days.The pattern adjustment had a lot of slop in the slide plate and advanced at a slight angle and was a"pain" to get calibrated. I noticed today while looking at the Z's the slide plate is the same but LT Rich folks stated that it did not seem to be a problem. I believe the cost difference is about $1600 from the new PG to the z JR (o5 with stainless frame) and I can see that much just in hydros, booms,tanks and pump. I bought mine with the 100HR or 6 month deal which I think was a safe bet for both of us.At 11.5 months I replaced a lot of "stuff" to get me into the upcoming season. I just finished installing dual Briggs 3.5 qt fuel tanks that also act as fenders so I can get more than 3 dumps of fert to a tank of fuel. I will say that within 60 days there will be negative responses from a Magnum owners starting in the south southwest (hope Im wrong) as the industry really needs good machines that give a great ROI.I think the buyback is 30 days on the Magnum so will be tough for a lot of us to really test prior to spring (perhaps icemelt) if winter ever gets here !!James do you still have the scooters that I saw on one of the other pages ?? Ted