1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Permagreen and CT will it work?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by livingsoils, May 11, 2008.

1. livingsoils

livingsoils LawnSite Member

This was touched on in another thread and I thought this would be a good discussion. Would a Permagreen effectively deliver CT or ICT to the plant or soil?
    You would be putting the same amount of microbes out with 5 gallons of water or .5 gallons of water per 1,000 square feet. I am not sure if you could get enough coverage for soil penetration with a Permagreen. Maybe you don't need too.
    Maybe someone has some data out there that they would like to share?
    How about it Bill, would this work for your product?

2. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I personally don't see why a permagreen is so good. The tank seems so small that you would have to refill it all the time. Please explain why this is such a good item to have.
  3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

For people that use sprays almost every day the PG saves the legs and total exhaustion by the end of the season. The typical pesticide application is around .5 gallons per 1000, with CT I would advise more.

It seems, and this from people that call not my own experience, you can change spray tips and get it to deliver close to 2 gallons per 1000. This is a better delivery rate for CT as you want foliar coverage but also some penetration (spray til drip) into the soil. so an 11 gallon PG could apply CT on roughly 5000 sq ft

Livingsoils, The point that you are making about 5 gallons or .5 gallons was a difficult one for me to understand for a long time.

The water is a carrier for the application, the application happens to be applying beneficial microorganisms. The application rates should be around 2 gallons per 1000, can it be 10 gallons per 1000? absolutely. But under 2 gallons per 1000 you don't get the desireable distribution (spray til drip).

The density that we like to see in our product is 1,000,000 beneficials per milliter or better

Deepgreen, The PG gives an economical entrance into sprays which is more cost effective, as an application, and quicker to apply. Spray rigs are expensive (PG's and the equivilant are too) the ride on sprayers have their place
  4. livingsoils

livingsoils LawnSite Member

With a 8 gallon tank you can cover about 32,000 square feet of a liquid application. Also, you can spray and spread at the same time so you cut down on time you spend on a property. They are a good machines for doing a "normal" lawn program, but not so good trying to do an organic program.

Bill, I have changed my nozzles but still can't seem to get enough gallons per 1,000. I think it is a pump issue not a nozzle issue. Permagreens come with a 1 gpm pump which it not a lot.

What happens if you only apply the ICT with .5 gallons of water per 1,000, will they survive?

5. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes they will survive, the simple answer is to make 2 or 3 passes. at 1 GPM make 2 passes. I didn't think to ask Jim how many GPM his pump was.

I'll try to get an answer today for you

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I get 40 oz per 1000 on 1 pass so 2 passes would give me 80 oz per k still not enough it seems.