1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Permagreen and herbicide on tires

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ThreeWide, Apr 5, 2006.

1. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Was chatting with a friend this week who informed me of another local company once having an issue with the PG.

Apprently they had some problems tracking/striping herbicide on lawns that were not sprayed. Basically the scenario is that you use the PG to spray lawn A with a broadleaf herbicide , then the next morning apply granular on lawn B. If the turf was a little wet, the herbicide from yesterday remaining on the tires becomes tracked to lawn B.

This could possibly happen, but by the same token I never clean my spray boots at end of each day either.
  2. SpreadNSpray

SpreadNSpray LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

:laugh: No I don't think thats true.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Urban legend, very little damage if any.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

And,.....what is the issue? What do you mean by "striping" on the lawn? That is like thing; if there is residue left in the hopper from a pre-M or something. Ant amounts that are on the tires or anywhere are so minute, that it wouldn't even matter.
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I could see turf BURN from HOT tires in the Summer heat. Maybe thats what he was seeing and blamed it on herb?
  6. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

I read a post on this website about a guy that was spraying MSMA out of a z-spray(I think), then went next door to fertilize a non bermuda lawn and striped the grass up for a pass or two.
  7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Could also have tracked a fungus on the tires
  8. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

That sounds similar to what my friend was referring to.

Just one thing to watch when using any spraying setup with wheels.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Ok. I understand what you're saying, now. If you are talking about different cultivars that can NOT have something like that on them, I can understand how it would be an issue. That is like when I sprayed some baseball fields. I sprayed the skins and warning track during the off season with gly, and I had to carry a bottle of water (and soft brush) with water to rinse the tires off before I left the skin areas and onto the turf.
  10. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I've seen non-selectives track across a lawn via mower tires, but a broad leaf shouldn't do much damage.