Permagreen Applicator

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Grandview, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I am looking for comments from people who have used the Permagreen Spreader/Sprayer. It looks like a great spreader, but I have concerns about its spraying capabilities.

2. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Grandview,

You should do a search. This has been a hot topic all winter long.
    There are some guys who love them and some who do not.
    I own a pg myself and have had problems with it.
    The folks at PG are beginning to take these things more seriously and are working with myself and several other members (do a search) to correct them.
    Good luck.

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

its a good sprayer with some limitations
    u have to learn how it works to get the most out of it but its not to hard
    i will be looking at the magmnum today if all goes well i will let u know what i think

4. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Dustycedar, What are the spraying limitations. My concern is the low spray height and having to go around everything. How wide of a pattern does it have.The info from the company contradicting. Is it seven foot or eleven. The spray tank seems small. I could get 2 acres out of six gallons by going to smaller nozzles.

5. ns400r

ns400r LawnSite Member

Any low volume sprayer is gonna limit your spraying capability's, its not fair to compare a LV to HV spray system.

We use a ultra and get great results with spraying weed control, limited results with insect control, and cannot spray fungicides. Yes the tank empties fast, 32k for the ultra, so in spring when Im doing alot of blanket apps i fill it often, later in the year its not too bad.

Like the famous line " its better then pushing and pulling " is true :D

6. scagster

scagster LawnSite Member
    from n.ohio

i have owned a utra for a year, had some problems,but overall its pretty good for my accounts. looked at a magnum last week and think it looks like a better machine

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I got the DVD from my Lesco dealer on the Permagreen. A little boring, not somethnig to sit with a date to watch, but it was informative. I don't know if it is something I will ever own but I sure like the looks and design of the new unit over the last years model. The horror stories I have heard on here make me rather afraid of them though. I would never put that many hours on one but I know I would fail at cleaning. Being solo I may do a few apps a day or as the week goes along. Hard to justify the through cleaning it needs after every day if you have barely used it. I also don't know much about the LV spraying. I'd say that 2 quarts per K is about as low as I'm comfortable with. I know the PG is half that...

With my body falling apart at my age I'm looking to get away from walking as much as I can and going with sitting or standing to ease some of my pain. LOL, maybe I can get a prescription for a permagreen covered by my insurance!

8. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i got to run the magnum today and it is way better then the others in my opin
    the hopper is huge the controls r much nicer and the spray tips spray a better pattern and it is really nice to have the trim nozzle on the unit it sprays about the with of the tires
    the spray controls r on top of the tank and u can see them easy and switch them with ease
    it sprays what they say it sprays and with a good pattern
    the Honda is a great motor fast with good pick up no lag like the old setup
    all the controls r easy to use and get to
    i did not get to demo the spreader today due to the snow but it looks like it will fit the bill with the 3rd hole adjustment within easy reach
    i think they got it right this time this machine looks to be a winner

9. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Dustycedar,
    Thanks for the report. I still think I will wait until mid-summer to decide if I will stay with PG or switch to Z-spray.

I will say this though. After viewing the DVD from PG, I am impressed with the new design. They seem to have addressed all of the gripes I had with the Ultra.

One of my concerns is, now that the magnum is out, has my ultra lost even more re-sell value?

David

10. ns400r

ns400r LawnSite Member

Dusty you maybe right, but by no means can you drive this machine around a parking lot and claim they got it right this time, reading from your past posts you always seemed to have no problems with your pg, why would you need to upgrade?

When we switched from the centri to the ultra we thought the same thing, until we got a few hrs on the utlra and the problems started showing up.