Permagreen calibration

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ThreeWide, Mar 22, 2006.

1. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I spent some time today trying to get a good baseline for calibrating the spreader on the Permagreen Magnum.

What seems to be happening is that using High gear, it is about 5 notches higher than all of my previous Lesco spreader settings. In other words, if I typically spread 18-24-12 at 15, it appeared to be 19-20 on the Permagreen.

My guess is that Low gear would be close to the old push spreader setttings.

You'd think with as many Permagreen owners here, we might come up with our own list of spreader settings.

I would offer to host this data on my website if anyone is interested.

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i have found that when i went from the centry to the magnum i had to relearn all the rates and it varies from fert to fert i use size makes a big impact on finish rates

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Well, we can look at it like this....if we have the high gear at 5 moh, and the low gear at 3.5 mph, that gives us 70% at low speeds. So, we would have to decrease by 30% for low. Now, lets see how many numbers we ave on a setting. How much does it go to, 24? from there (whatever it is), we divide that into 100, multiply it by our setting, then times THAT by .70 (70%). This will vary and be different from each setting, but it WOULD be a great idea if one of us figured this out. Next time I go out to he shop, I'll look and see how many numbers are there. I DID have a conversion to convert the numbers to letters and vice-versa for those setting that are like that.

4. thomsoutdoor

thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member

Last year I made a cardboard box to fit around the spreader and kept on adjusting it until I got what I want. This year I have a field That I am doing so I measured it all out and hopefully when I am done the field I should have the settings I will need. As far as low gear goes I rarely use it.

5. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

There is only one reliable way to calibrate - use a catch pan and weigh the material used over 1000 square feet. You can also use field calibartion to establish or check the rate - add the square feet on several properties and compare to material used. Example - if you used 100 pounds of fert to do 30,000 SF, then the rate must have been 3.3 lbs/1000 SF.

If you don't run the PG in high gear, there's almost no point in using it. It does run 3-5 notches higher than a Lesco spreader.

6. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Agree absolutely.

However just like the numbers on the bag, you need a point of reference to start with.

With that in mind, I spent some time yesterday doing something really bizarre. Using some of the Lesco published settings for the old push spreader, I have constructed a model you can use to estimate what the equivalent setting would be on the Permagreen at both low and high gear in both Mini and Standard particles. It is all curve fitting theory, but you do get a reasonable starting point to work with. In other words, if Lesco put the PG numbers on a bag this is what you might see.

They are quadratic equations for those who may be mathematically inclined. If you want the models, send me a PM.

7. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

ok this is how i do it i take a row of 1ft by 1ft pans and put them in a straight line and leave a gap big enough to get the spreader wheels through and run over it and then weigh what is in each pan and weigh it as a whole and divide by number of pans to find out what i am putting out per sq ft and where the pattern is heavier hope this helps

8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Low gear is too slow. High gear is (temporarily) to fast. I wonder why Permagreen sticks with it's cheesy transmission system??? My next "ride-on" will be a LESCO - has hyrdrostatic trans plus speed control. Spray systems can be installed for under $400. This makes a more operater-friendly unit. I've often wondered Permagreen has not corrected two obvious downfalls? (lack of weed coverage + no hydro tanny)