Permagreen idea... Good or bad?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Gmgbo, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking about buying a replacement engine for
    My permagreen ($250) with no aux output shaft. Then purchasing an electic sprayer pump($100) and adjustable speed spreader motor, also electric.($250)

I would have to make a battery mount, new engine has a charging coil.

The $1600 permagreen upgrade seems like a lot for a homeowner Honda engine

What do you think?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I am thinking you have an Ultra--same as I used to have. Good ideas--Permagreen's idea is best--if you got $1600.

I heard on here somewhere--that you can have a mechanic buy a new engine and using the old engine, bolt the old crankcase and output shaft to the new engine and problem is solved. Keep the same battery and pump. (Unless you need new ones.)
    If you don't want to do that...

Your main problem is how to drive the spinner. If you are handy or know a mechanic who can do it...possibly the spinner could be driven by an extension of the same shaft that carries the 10 inch pulley that drives the transmission. Naturally you would have to move the hopper slightly forward or the transmission slightly backward to line them up properly. You would need the usual rubber Lovejoy coupler on the spinner shaft so it could be driven by the tranny shaft. (Or whatever you can get to work). I am not sure if the rpms would be enough to drive the spinner.

Nothing wrong with an electric driven spinner of course. the electric motor could be below the hopper or above it using a shaft extension.

A battery mount is easy--Click my name; take a look at my Permagreen Ultra photographs from 2009. Motor scooter battery.

Let us know what happens. OK?

3. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

I will keep you updated, I plan on ordering parts this week. The motor also has electric start

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Keep in mind most every lawn mower on your mower shop's scrap heap has a right angle bevel gear to drive the front wheels. If your new motor has an output shaft somewhere...Orange County Choppers...or any good mower shop can find a way to drive the spinner. Feel free to drive a pump with a belt also.

Remember if you drive the spinner with the main belt--it will only spin after the clutch engages.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012