Permagreen magnum question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wcb607a, Feb 16, 2009.

1. wcb607a

wcb607a LawnSite Member

I do not have a problem with transporting, but its when doing the granular apps the hopper closes a bit and less fert is applied. I guess a bungee or a zip tie will do the trick

2. redbuckcavs

redbuckcavs LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Mstine315

Did you get a chance to take a picture of yout explanation? I have the same problem!!! I have to keep my thumb on the stupid lever to keep the shut off plate to stay open.

thanks in advance

3. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry for the delay guys. Here's some pics. Hopefully they'll help describe what my previous post was talking about. All credit to Ross (Spreadnspray) for this tip. What he originally told me was to replace the screws, locknuts, and washers with new, and use loctite. What I found was that my machine had never had washers. I don't know if this caused the problem in the first place, but it works much better now. When we would tighten these screws before, they were either so tight that the handles wouldn't lower, or too loose so the lever was sloppy. There was no happy medium. With the flat washers you can crank them down good and snug and the handlebars still move.

pg4.jpg

PG2.jpg

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

You would think there would be friction washers in there... Not sure if that's what they are called or not though... They are usually thin, and like made of hardened/spring steel. They are bent a little so they are arched, some are bent a couple directions so they look 'wavy'. You use 2 or 3 of them together. Then use a nyloc nut on the bolt to hold the position, or tension, you want on the lever.

5. MStine315

I used flat washers so there was smooth action when you move the handle up an down. I pondered using nylon washers. As for the nut, I did use a nylock nut AND loctite to ensure it stayed in the position I set it.

6. SpreadNSpray

SpreadNSpray LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Just like Marc said. Here is a pic with the longer screw and added flat washers and lock washer.

I do have one more little tip for taking out the slop in the bars. This will also help the opening and closing problem. I will post the hardware needed and some pics in a bit.

014.jpg

7. SpreadNSpray

from MN

Some of you might need this if you have a lot of slop in the bars. The movement back and forth can contribute to the hopper opening and closing by itself. Plus I just don't like the play in the bars. This won't make your Magnum feel like BMW, but it wont ride like a hay wagon anymore.

Hardware: (2) 5/16-18 regular Uss extruded U nuts.

The U nuts will go in between the handle bar frame and the square tube at the base on both sides.

Grind down the U nuts shown in the first pic. Grind off only enough so the handle bars will latch in the "up" position.

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

8. MStine315

Hi Ross. Great tips, as usual. I noticed the screws were JUST long enough, if that, when I added the flat washers, but I see you did indeed put in lock washers too, which then required longer screws. I will be re-doing mine 1st thing tomm. along with the u-bolt upgrade. Thanks, Marc

9. lawntennis

lawntennis LawnSite Senior Member

I did it and it worked. Thanks. As I was doing it I was sure there was no way that would make a difference. I would have never figured out to try that. Thanks again Spread n Spray and thanks again for the spray upgrade. Permagreen should hire you as a consultant.

10. SpreadNSpray

from MN

My pleasure. I'm glad it worked!:)