Permagreen Magnum-Right Wheel Won't Turn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Grandview, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Just went to do some work on my Permagreen. The right wheel will not turn. It was in cold storage all winter. It was working when I put it away last Dec. Anybody else run into this. I have a call into Permagreen.

2. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Take it off and have a look. See if there is an obstruction. Mine is still relatively new so i have not had this problem.
    -Jay

3. Grandview

from WI

I got a quick call back from Permagreen. The axle had rusted. I was told I would need a new transmission if I could not free it. I was able to free it with BP blaster and a pipe wrench. Permagreen is sending some grease fittings to be installed. The new machines have them. Mine machine has 475 hours. I will be installing them in the machine I bought last year also. The grease should help keep moisture and rust out.

4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I had the same thing happen, only it was my left wheel. I put a new trans axle on ($600) wish I would have tried the PB and pipe wrench!

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What models are you guys talking about?????????

6. Grandview

from WI

Mine are both Magnums. I am not real mechanical. Why would replacing the trany solve this problem. That was the recommendation from Permagreen.

7. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

Just putting a 6 thousand dollar piece of equip away for the winter doesn't cut it. I suggest reading the recommendations on the owners manuel for oil changes too. Maybe grease it once or twice a year-sarcasm. I can't believe it didn't have grease fittings!

Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. Seriously.

Wasted time=wasted money. IMO

8. willietd2

willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

hey shades of green, how do you like your new perma green ? willie

9. Grandview

from WI

Harley-D, you are right. My routine maintenance is the machine gets washed every day. Once a week the shields come off, machine is washed and greased. Every 25 hours engine and transmission oil gets changed and cables get lightly greased. After the last time it was used last fall oils were changed, it was washed, and greased. It was put away in good working order. Over winter the axle rusted. This was because of a design problem not a lack of maintenance. The machine does have 475 hours in two years. Most of those were put on in the first year. New magnums I was told have grease fittings in the axle to prevent this problem, but only if they are greased. I got the fittings to be installed yesterday.

10. thomsoutdoor

thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks for the heads up. I have one of the first Magnums and I guess I see about those grease fittings.