Permagreen or 200 gallon skid

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wiseguyslawn, Mar 25, 2008.

1. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I presently have around 30 accounts and growing. My first year applying liquid. All accounts are resedential yards around 9000-10000 sq.ft. Already have a lesco spreader and wondering what everyone recommends purchasing. Is it better for a newby to start with the skid and hose or go to the permagreen. Skid is going to cost about 3500. What is the ballpark figure of a permagreen. And what is the liquid spray width of the permagreen.
    Thanx for any advice

2. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

pg retail for close to upper 6 to 7000 g. how long does it take you to do your accounts?
    you have a lazer Z why not buy the jrco spreader for the front and a spray set up alot cheaper.

3. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

With only 30 9-10,000sq' accounts, you could do that in one long day with a skid sprayer/hose. I've never used a permagreen. My most lucrative and common accounts are smaller lawns, about 5K sq'. I find the hose/skid a good way to go for these lawns. I did 4 big lawns today, about 40k each, I was wishing I had a PG or a Z-spray.

4. BigRedVirus

BigRedVirus LawnSite Member

If you know someone who can weld you could put together your own skid for about 2000. I bought my pieces from WESTHEFFER last season and had a friend weld a frame for me. I am about the same size as you. 30 accts. about 10 or 11 thou. sqft a piece. I couldn't justify spending that amount for a new skid when I could have my own customized for a lot less. A word of advice though, if you do buy all the components and assemble it yourself, make sure you lay the hose all way out in the sun before you try to wind it on the reel. Save yourself some do and get the components and build it yourself!

5. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

a skid is the best to start off cause you will need one anyway for some applications and certain lawns, you can easily do yours in a day, day and a half with a skid. we did this until it was needed to buy something(we got a zspray max) to get more efficient on so much to treat, but we are treating about 10 million ft sq between two of us that mow, and everything else too! we use jrco spreaders for all our granular unless a push spreader is needed. great buy, get one for sure to compliment your arsenal of getting stuff done!!

6. Mr.GreenJeans89

Mr.GreenJeans89 LawnSite Member

skid spray for another year or two till you absolutly need to upgrade.

7. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

My opinion would be for the PG. I use mine on lawns from 850 sq.ft. and up. I also don't see why you would necessarily need a skid for anything other than doing perimeter pest spray, fungicides and filling the PG. Again My Opinion.

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Think outside the box!

If you are going to grow....then build for the future!

I think you can grow bigger and faster with a PG!

A skid tank will limit you to smaller lawns.

If you get a PG you should feel confident to start looking at larger acreages!

The money might not be quite as good/1000 sq ft on larger acreages...but you can make a lot more in a day vs walking (atleast in my area anyway)!

9. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

good point

10. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Future - not today or tomorrow. Go with the PG machine.