Permagreen owners only

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Shades of Green LService, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I want to start a conversation solely on this topic. I got my PG the end of 06'
    and haven't had the chance to try out a blanket yet. I keep hearing mixed feed back on this. Do you guys get good results with a Blanket spray? I don't like blanketing soley to just to do so, however as you know sometimes it is necessary. Thanks, Jay

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Overall blanket spray with the electric pump is what we prefer, twice per year. Pull the trigger to spot spray at other times--but wait you have the Magnum--can you shut the spray on and off quickly?
    I suggest you put in water and spray a few parking lots--get the hang of it. Put out some plastic flowers and try to cut around them. Pretend they are weeds and try to spot spray them.

3. Shades of Green LService

Spraying skills are fine i was wondering on the results of doing the blanket using the PG. Basicly does the PG do a good job blanketing.

4. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

There have been a ton of posts on this topic. We've had very good results with the PG weed control but we try not to do blanket apps unless the yard is a complete mess. A number of posts suggest that the PG doesn't get all the weeds. There are always a lot of factors at work though - mix rate, weather, mowing height, overlap, etc. and I think it's not accurate to asssume it must be the PG when it doesn't get complete control. We use a backpack sprayer to trim along mulch beds and areas where we know the customer will notice weeds. It's a given that if there's only weed in the yard and it happens to be right next to the mailbox, then we'll hear the yard is a complete disaster. Make sure you're calibrated correctly, make sure the spray tips are clean and aimed properly, use the right weed control product, run a good pattern and trim up the yard with a backpack or hand can.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It does excellent. We only blanket twice a year (spring and fall). This next season, we may also be doing a blanket spray for grub control (Imidicloprid). I have a strategy for grub control this season that I think is going to be MUCH more cost effective.

6. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

Runner, care to share??????

7. Shades of Green LService

yes, please share.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Lesco now has their product Bandit (Imidicloprid). The huge benefit of Merit, was that (not the obvious - season long control) we were able to put it down as a combo product, so we had a full application within a fertilizer application (at the same time). this was a cost savings factor in terms of labor time savings. However, we are paying nearly $50 per bag, and it takes a bag and a half to do a 1/2 acre lawn. Now, I know that we make a good return with the fert. ap + the grub ap., but there is still a significant cost factor, there. here is a thought. With bandit being much less the cost of Merit (even taking away the fert. cost of the combo), a guy could be frugal, and about double his margin. First, let's look at a few things. I don't know about you guys, but I have NEVER seen or had grub damage in shaded areas such as under dense shaded trees, and in the shadows of structures. So, by the time we look at covering 3 to 3.5 million sq ft. with Merit, how much of that is wasted product that is essentially NOT needed, but put down, because it is part of the blanketing of fert. in thosae applications. Remember, we are talking about the entire north sides of houses - probably 15 ft. out, more for taller houses and buildings, and many areas that are just shaded under trees. This is ALOT of product. So, on that basis, there are days that I could go out and spray the Bandit and fertilize, too. There are also days that may be wet and rainy, and it could be done on these days, as well. I can also lower the potassium a bit this round, because at this time, it is not going to be utilized as much as it was in the first part of the season.
    Now, there are a few cons to this...One, is the fact that we have to make sure it is watered in within the 24 hr. period. Another, is that if the tank has Bandit in it, I will be spotting weeds with a bottle. Fortunately, at this time, we are well on top of the weeds, but there are a few like plantain that may want to pop up. Again, the bottle and a sharp eye would do. One alternative to this would be the dry form of this product. It would mean two times around, but that would be necessary, anyway. Anyway, this is just some kicking around I'm doing. I've done a little number crunching and logistical and labor figuring and like what I see, but I will certainly be researching this further.

9. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Joe, I see your line of thinking and where you are headed with this, but, is the carrier (water) in the PG enough to get the Merit past the canopy unless you are spraying in the rain, and if you are spraying in the rain, you'll have to make a return trip for w/c. Not trying to bust your b****, just thinking outloud. Marc

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

We use merit plus fert in the hopper and weed control in the tank. Cover everything--shade or not.