Permagreen problem

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by stressed, Jun 5, 2008.

1. stressed

stressed LawnSite Member

Got problems with it when i spray and spread at the same time alot the fertilzer builds up on the throwing disc and doesnt throw as far which has caused sum striping.I gotta keep scraping it off i was just wondering if theres sumthen i can spray on it to keep from building up.

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Use a higher quality fert with no dust!

If it is humid you will have more build up. I make it a habit to scrape my spinner during each fill.

I remove very little when using Lesco, but I also bought some "cheap" Sta Green product from Lowes and it builds up quick as the product is very DUSTY!

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

High analysis and high humidity--yuck! Product builds up on the impeller and on various parts i can't see underneath.

I have an idea--but I have not got around to trying it. Cover each impeller fin with teflon. Its simple. Buy a telfon coated cookie pan. Cut it into strips, a half inch wide. Use the strips and attach to each impeller blade, essentially replacing the blades with teflon coated aluminum blades. Attach by drilling small holes and using small bolts or wire ties. Or glue.

Anybody willing to give this a try--and report back on the results? Other ideas?

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

How about just inventing a spinner platter that is teflon coated?

It really shouldn't matter if your spraying or not. Spray is no where near the platter.

5. stressed

stressed LawnSite Member

A spinner is what its called,i called it a throwing disc,im new with the granules,been all liquid in the past.Yes creech ive used some good non dusty stuff and i got sum dusty stuff and therei is a big difference in the builup.I bought some andersons that is supposed to be good but it was dusty

6. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I've only noticed buildup after a full day, I am going to Fluid Film the spinner next time I use it if it ever stops raining.

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I would think that would only make it build up quicker!

Any moisture that attracts dust will only make it worse won't it?

Let us know how it turns out for you.

8. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea, you're probably right. It takes a few minutes to fill from my nurse tank anyway, I can check it and scrape it then if needed. As long as I maintain an air gap , don't want to Dept of Ag. to come after me !

9. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I use Lesco fertilizer and find I only have to clean the impeller once or twice a day. I tried some cheaper stuff from a local supplier once and it was horrible, dusty and built up on the impeller like crazy.

10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Same here Mike!

I use all Lesco, but when the "cheap" Lowes stuff came up I bought a bunch. Love using it from a finanacial side, but it is very dusty. It has an awesome pattern, but definitly not as consistent and as clean as the Lesco product.