Permagreen production

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by BeautifulBlooms, Mar 25, 2008.

1. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

I have been bidding on a lot of large lawns recently and have been curious about fertilzer applications with a permagreen or similar equipment.

I know that normally with my walk behind spreader on my normal lawn a ccounts ranging from 10000-29000 I can fert about 25000-54000 per hour depending on the property.

How fast can I expect to go on a permagreen and how wide of an application area does it cover? Can it throw a spread of 10'? or more?

Just looking for general ranges as I am considering the purchase but I am bidding on the properties as if I was still walk spreading. I am just unsure if the multiple $K for the piece of equipment is really worth it.

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

OK....I'l begin the reponses. I say, buy a used PG Magnum on ebay. The 07/08 models are selling cheap ($4500 & up). Make sure you do not buy a 2006 or older model (too many probs).

BTW Z-Sprays are great, but you will seldom see used ones for sale cuz they're good. If you want to go one step further, call TURFCO....you won't be sorry (no tralier-pulling needed):laugh:

My 2 cents worth...........anybody else?

3. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

On that topic a buddy of mine with a 2004 without the transmissionaxle grease zurgs just had it lock up and went over the handlebars,luckily he was ok but it could have been pretty nasty.

4. BeautifulBlooms

Americanlawn

what kind of production can you get? Can you do 50,000 per hour, or 100,000 per hour???

My walk spreader I can be anywhere from 25,000-55,000 and i am just curious how much more effective it can be on the larger properties. I wouldnt even think of taking it off of the trailer for a lawn less than 10,000 sq. ft. I THINK

5. BeautifulBlooms

I know assuming I do a double overlap at 5 MPH with an 11' swath (effective swath 5.5') I can do like 140,000 sq. ft. per hour at 100% efficiency (which never happens).

Can I go 5MPH on a whole lawn? I know it depends on the property but is it safe to assume I can do 4, or 4.5MPH. What about turning and such how efficient can it be?

Anyone have some help?

6. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you will easily double your production rates once you get the hang of the PG. You will be pulling it off the trailer for less than 10k yards too. I use the PG on every property I service. I have a small hand spreader I carry in the hopper for those impossible to get to areas. I really think 55k per hr. is unrealistic pushing. Maybe if you hustle spreading 46-0-0. I can't see how you could turn out those #'s day after day, week in week out.

7. BeautifulBlooms

Oh I am not saying I could do it day in and day out, but there were two properties that actually I hit 55,000 per hour, but they were wide open 15,000 lawns. So in essence no I didnt do a 55,000 lawn in 1 hour I did a 15,000 lawn in 20 minutes or so.

The biggest lawn I have was a 29,000 lawn and it took me about 45 minutes each time.
    so that would be about 40,000 per hour.

I also only had 15 accounts for fert and w.c. last year, but I already have 10 signed for this year and 30 proposals out, so I am just looking into the future here.

With an 11 foot spread I would find it very difficult to do a lot of the lawns I service as there are lots of beds and other such obstacles. Maybe i would be able to use it on some areas but not other, I just hate loading and unloading to save myself a few minutes, I actually enjoy the exercise but if I can get more done and make more money then I will definitely do that.

8. EJK2352

What application equipment do you have now??? How much to you want to grow your application side of your business??? It looks like you currently offer quite a few services so your time for apps. could be limited.

9. BeautifulBlooms

I currently use an 80LB lesco spreader and I spot spray for weeds with a backpack sprayer. It would be nice to have a larger machine for the inital applications on lawns that are heavily weed infested. but most of the lawns I maintain arent too bad where it only takes about 15 minutes to walk the proprty and spot spray.

I am growing the lawn division right now as much as I can as it is only a year old. We are looking to diversify into a lawn crew and a landscape crew so there wont be a problem of overseeing the management thats why the husband and wife team works so well for us, we each are in charge of a divison.

10. EJK2352

I work a 40 hr. per week job from 6am to 2:30pm Monday thru Friday. My wife and son are handling all the mowing. They also assist me with bed maintenance and clean-ups. I am treating almost 60 acres per round solo. I have a limited amount of time so for me the PG is a must. I wouldn't even consider doing apps. without one. If you have a helper that can hand can while you fert. you can knock out quite a few in a day. The beauty of the PG is you can do both and cut out the helper. I think if you grow you app. end of the business to 75-100 accounts you can justify buying a PG.