1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Permagreen Pump Question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LushGreenLawn, Jul 13, 2008.

1. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Guys,

I am going to replace the pump in my PG Ultra. Does anyone know if I have to order a pump from permagreen, or if I can use another pump with the same specs? Its a 1GPM 12V pump.

Are there other factors to worry about (Such as PSI)

It seems to look just like the 12V sprayer pump that tractor supply sells, looks like it would bolt on with the same hole pattern too.
  2. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I bought the one at Tractor Supply for my Ultra. It's a Flojet. Better pump than the Shurflo PG will send you(IMO)and $30-40 cheaper if I remember correctly. Bolted right up to the same mounts and everything. It has an on/off switch that I like also. I can turn it off with that toggle and there's no way I'll accidentally hit the button and spray something I didn't intend to. Only thing was I had to snip the old wires and reconnect using a shrink sleeve to make it weatherproof. I kept the PG weatherproof plug in case it is needed in the future. Good Luck
  3. LushGreenLawn

Thanks for the Advice Ted!

I'm assuming that you get the same flow and width from the nozzles?
  4. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes, no problems. I got 125-126oz/min out of the dump valve below the tank. I figure 2-3oz/min friction loss was right on target.
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Good advice from Ted. You can go to a 1.5 or 2 gal per min pump if you want. The pressure is limited by that black relief valve on top (10 lbs). In any case be sure to clean up the wires and the connections so they are near perfect. And enclose them in many layers of tape or hot glue so there is no chance of any water or fert solution getting into the connections. So 11 volts is not enough, you want all 12 volts--actually 12.8 is ideal. Try to reroute the wires so there are no unnecessary splices or connections. And try to place the wires near the back--as far from the fertilizer as possible. Feel free to use fatter guage wire all the way to the switch and back to the battery. Thicker wire has less voltage drop per foot.
  6. LushGreenLawn

So, does that mean that if the Pressure is Regulated at 10PSI, that even if I put a 2GMP pump on it, the flow would be the same, just more excess fluid would return to the tank?

My Problem is lack of pressure, so mabye all I need to do is replace the pressure valve on top of the tank instead?
  7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure.
    However, you will probably find that your pump is worn and that the relief valve only activates when the nozzle valves are shut off. Perhaps you can get 10 lbs pressure, but a flow rate of only half a gallon per minute. Look into the tank when the level is low and see how much fluid flows back into the tank from the relief valve. Probably zero when both spray valves are open. If so, your pressure is probably closer to 7 lbs. A weak pump cannot give you both full flow and full pressure. A strong pump should give you 90 ounces per minute, and still be able to dump some excess back into the tank.

Of course, try it with motor off. Motor on. Motor on, with wide open throttle and so forth. Use a voltmeter--be sure you have 12.8 volts with motor off, and about 14 with throttle wide open.

Consider replacing the battery with a lawn tractor or motorcycle battery temporarily--to see if a bigger battery would solve the problem. Negative pole is ground.
  8. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

yup, its probably more of a flow problem than a pressure problem,
    be sure to clean all out all your pressure caps, nozzles, strainers etc..

i replaced my pump on my ultra for the beginning of this season,
    then about 1.5 month ago, 1 nozzle stopped spraying,- turned out
    the suction/strainer boot in the bottom of the tank wore a hole
    thru the screen and sucked a little debris in
    i replaced that strainer piece and cleaned everything, still wouldnt
    spray--had to replace pump again!

anyway- works normal with new pump
    direct from PG this time
    item # U442069
    pump, SE Flojet $119.32

one other thing i noticed - is you can adjust your spray
    slighty with how tight you have the pressure caps on the
    nozzle body--tighter- finer spray looser = courser spray
    im sure its effecting pressure and maybe volume output
    to check your calibration with water
  9. LushGreenLawn

I went ahead and bought the new pump from TSC, its a High-Flo Brand, not a Shure-Flo. The guy behind the counter said that they seem to alternate between those two brands, and fimco at any given time. It was only 50 bucks so if it doesn't last, I'm not out that much.

I also ordered new pressure caps.

As far as the battery, for the motorcycle battery, did you make a bracket to mount it? The existing battery os screwed to the side of the unit. It looks like 6 D cells connected together in a black case.
  10. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Change out the 10 PSI Regulator for a 20 PSI one.

Much better.