permagreen question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Jun 27, 2007.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I know that the permagreen is used for herbicides and granular fertilizers mostly. Does or has anyone used it to spread grass seed? Do you guys spread anything else from the permagreen?

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Nope, but I guess you could spread grass seed with it, but you would need to open the holes up in the spreader box.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Close off the holes to small openings--seed (especially small seed) flows fast, in my experience. Also the seed is light. It will not fly far. Swath may be narrow. It may be affected by wind.

Let us know where you had to set the setting. And describe your experience.

4. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

I used the Perma-seeder all last fall with no problems. It's real simple decide how much seed you need for the area weigh it out. Then pick a starting point for the setting and make the necessary adjustments until it puts out the proper material. It's not rocket science. As far as the wind goe's what do you do when it's windy and you apply fertilizer?? Same deal go with the wind, crosswind,....etc.

5. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

thanks for the advice. I'm trying to make the jump and purchase one. How much time do you think you save with the pg vs. the standard push spreader? I know you should get a more even and consistant pattern with the pg.

6. RigglePLC

I think the push spreader is just as quick in lawns under 10,000 sqft.

7. DSTC

DSTC LawnSite Member

We have had really great results spreading bermuda and centipede seed with the our PG Magnums. We have to open the holes up really small, but its possible to do and we don't use sand or anything else. Speed is greatly increased over a push spreader.

We are getting ready to shell out the money for a Turf Revitalizer though for help with thatch and improved seed delivery.

I hear the productivity on those are about 1-1.5 acres/hr which ain't much different than the PG anyway, just more walking :)

8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We only run ride-ons for properties 10,000 or more (generally 12,000 - 20,000 sq ft.) Even on 15,000 sq ft lawns, it's just as fast/efficient to push spread.

9. RigglePLC

You cover about 3500 sq ft per minute. 12 and a half minutes per acre as a maximum, but you have to stop to fill up, and that slows you down. Walking you can cover about 2000 sqft per minute.