1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Permagreen, real deal or bad deal?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Stripper, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Stripper

Stripper LawnSite Member
    from Ky.

I'm sure this has been discussed in countless other posts, but I'm trying to figure out what the problem could be.

I was in Lesco today buying next application and asked the employee about the PG they have in stock. He told me they've had trouble out of all the PG's they sold this year. In a nutshell, he had nothing nice to say about them. He likes the idea of the machine, but thought it was too unreliable. I don't know if this is true or not, but he also told me I would not be able to buy parts directly from Permagreen, would have to go through dealer?

What I'm trying to figure out is, does Permagreen have a quality control issue or is it the operater. Guy at Lesco said they had trouble with pumps, clutches, throttle cables, and electrical problems. These were 2004 models he was talking about. From what I've heard so far is, you either love it or hate it.

Permagreen have been perfecting this machine for around 10 years now? I can't believe they are having this much trouble with the ultra? :confused:
  2. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

There are soo many posts on this site about all these issues, get a cup of joe and take a sunday afternoon and search, click on my search button you'll find a lot...

I assume you read the perma green post at the top of the pesticide page right?

we ( the consumer ) are PG's R&D department, that is the reason for the quality control problems, I own 2 different types ( centri & ultra ) I haven't had much " problems " like some, but I have issues with overall design of both machines

Small example, the gas tank on the ultra works fine, its just way to small and its put somewhere you cant see the level and impossible to fill with out spilling a little. Thats piss poor design.

the machine is full of those.

Would I ever go back to pushing and pulling ?, no way, would I ever buy another PG? nope.

IF Tom Rich built a 36" machine with a lesco hopper I would buy it tomorrow, Better yet I think Tom Rich should get some investors and buy the perma green patent and merge both machines and it would be killer.

Feel free to email as well or call me sometime, my phone number is on my website
  3. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I've been considering the PG or Z spray for a couple of months. Just thought you should look at all of the feedback in old messages. It seems the Z-spray is a much sturdier unit. If I buy, it will be Z-spray based on overall comments here. I think the new design using a hydraulcally driven spreader is the best out there.
  4. ArchiesLawns

ArchiesLawns LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Hey Stripper,

Read my reply at the top of this page.

Should answer your question!

I agree with James C. go with the Z-spray.

It cost alittle more, but you get what you pay for.

Plus, do a search on Z-spray and you don't find the negative responses like you do on the PG.

5. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I own PG and IMO I love mine. I dont have many problems with it. They do require a lot of maintence. I looked at the Z-Spray but do not like the Spyker Hopper and the medal parts. I had one on my older PG and it did not spread good at all and always used to gum up on adjuster. I don't know if Spyker improve on this at all though.
  6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I think it just depends on how much you're going to use it as well.

In my other posts, I state that I merely use it for spraying broadleafs and spreading granular applications.

I did try to use Primo Maxx with the sprayer one time, however with the droplet size, not actually submersing the entire plant in liquid, I believe that the carrier was my problem.

Anyways, I do 28 or so stops throughout the year, 4 apps.

I've only 1 problem so far, and that's my starter is out.

I haven't taken the time yet to see if it's a wire that came loose, or the actual starter went out.

However, any time I take it off to do an app, everything else has worked fine.
  7. James Cormier

from Ma

Starter problems...ahh another great pg let down, From what I heard from a pg insider, almost all ultra's had bad starters ( 1st year models ) Everyone at all lesco stores didnt work when I bought mine last spring.

It was mid rd1 when I got mine so I didnt worry about it until I got done with rd 2 to fix it, I was a little surprise to find out Pg wanted to charge my credit card for the new starter until they got the old one back.

I called them on that, they told me " your lucky where offering to cover it, we ( pg ) didnt make the starters but where eating them to keep you guys happy "

I m not kidding this is what I was told over the phone, I was stunned, I said chevy dosent make every part on my truck, but they stand behind the whole thing cause they sold me the whole truck, why dosesnt this apply to you machine?

but hay its sure is better than pushing a spreader all day:)
  8. LwnmwrMan22

James -

That's not the first time I've had a company tell me they're not covering a part.

A "big company that has red mowers that bought out the competition that bascially made the same mower" mower company told me they were going to charge me for a hydraulic pump until they get reimbursed for the one that broke under warranty, then they'd give me a credit at my local dealership for other parts.

I said no, then stopped using Toros after 10 years.
  9. James Cormier

from Ma

22, I would assume in that case the dealer let you down, Ive bought stuff from that same big comapany and had problems, but my dealer wanted my business so he stood behind me,replaced the part then he fought behind the scenes with the manufactour.

With Pg, that was different, my first pg I bought direct from them, when I had problems I had to wait for parts and then fix them myself, I wasnt very happy with that

So my next machine I bought from lesco, thinking that would solve that problem, lesco should stock parts for machines they sell right? well not the parts that break, they were just the middle man, I would go in an say part x broke, they would call pg, order the part then call me an say its in, then leave the machine with them to ship to a store that has service and wait for it too come back.

That dosnet work much better.
  10. LwnmwrMan22

James -

Yeah, that's why I figured I'd get mine straight from PG, the Lesco service part. Not that they have bad service, but I can fix my own, rather than truck it in 30 miles, to drop it off, to drive 30 miles again to pick it up.

However, unlike you, I don't make my living doing apps.

I've got mine, I'd say more or less as a toy.

I'm starting round 3 and have 35 hours on my PG if that says anything. :)