1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

PermaGreen Ride on

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by NeilG, May 13, 2001.

1. NeilG

NeilG LawnSite Member

Couldn't help but notice that several have mentioned the Ride-On spreaders. I have just put mine into operation this week, and was looking for info as far as the do's and don'ts, what you have found through experience with this unit.
    So far I have liked the equipment, but as with anything new, I have been holding my breath to see what type of results I end up getting after the application.
    Any help will be appreciated.
  2. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

1. strap it down on the rack between jobs if they are far apart
    2. mix liquid in 5-6 gal. jerry jugs and use the spout to pour in the mix.
    3. if lawn was never fertilized go over twice different directions so you dont stripe lawn.
    4. keep all parts tight.
    5. i placed a curtain that drops behind the tank and falls to the foot stand to keep spray matt. from drifting on my legs while spraying.

e-mail me with your e-mail address.
  3. NeilG

NeilG LawnSite Member

Ant, Thanks for the info. Will put your suggestions into pratice.
  4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

neilg- ant and i don't always see eye to eye on this permagreen thing- but here is my experience-
    1 on new lawn w/ weed problems, I pull the hose and spray old fashioned. The low volume only mists the canopy and misses some.
    2 carry silicone spray with you to grease the opening on the spreader. it sticks on me constantly, but when working is a joy to fertilize with.
    3 I've started saving my 2.5 gallon empties and mixing them in the morning with whatever I need. New cusomers get barricade, ferromec, surf king and tri-mec plus. existing get the same less pre. shale well and pour what you need for next hour only. there is no real agitation other than bumps in lawn. 3 2.5's will prety much fill tank.
    4. brakes are really just "slowers" not stoppers. the parking brake is not really for trailering or parking on slopes.
    5.- empty at the end of the day. it seems dew gets under the rain cover and locks the fert together. youcan't just dump it out like on a buggy.
    6.- watch out for tree limbs and always be prepared to drop handle and walk. I've tried to stay on and wedged my hand netween limb and perma. ouch.
    7- i put check valve strainers in nozzel body to dtop drips.
    8- don't leave simazine or barricade in tank overnite, it will end up pasting at bottom.
    9- do test w/ blue dye on concrete ( preferably in competitors driveway ;) ) to get a feel for upper and lower nozzel boundaries.
    10 - try different tires to get a feel for what you need in traction, and be ready to hop off and "scooter push" on turns to avoid divots.
    11- take ant's advice w/ grain of salt, he likes his machine too much.
    12- and my advice as well . I don't like mine enough as a sprayer, but the spreader on most jobs gives me energy at the end of the day.

Dave g
  5. NeilG

NeilG LawnSite Member

Dave G.
    Thanks for all of the information.. With just over 12 hours on the unit, I have found several of the things you mentioned to be very true. I have noticed the nozzels dripping after use, and like you, I have been somewhat leery of the quality of the spray system. The brakes are there only to make you feel good. First time I unloaded, I tried to back off the rack and down a slope in the yard. Thought that the unit was history, and I hadn't even treated one yard.
    Apparently you have some concern about mixing herbicide in the units tank. I have just been mixing in the AM at the shop, but I will take your advice and reuse several of the 2.5 jugs (that say not to reuse)
    The spreader is awesome, and will cut big properties down to size in no time whatsoever. But I will keep an eye open for the sticking problem and keep a lubricant in the van.
    You mentioned something about Simazine. Are you trying to spray pre-em, or is that a granular product? I have always tank mixed my pre-m and simazine, and have also found that you need to have the pump and hose available for those hard to get to places, and yards.

Once again, thanks for the info, and if there is anything else that comes up, please let me know.
    ps. Got caught between the handle and a tree Thursday.
  6. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

neal and dave i have no problems with the shoot sticking. they modified mine to a different design.
    e-mail me your e address and i will e you pictures of the change to see if it matches both of yours.
    did you stop the nozzles from dripping?
    are you useing top or bottom?
    what liquid have you used that worked in the unit?