1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

    Dismiss Notice

Permagreen shifter

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RigglePLC, Mar 21, 2007.

  1. RigglePLC

    RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 12,215

    Thanks Pat at Permagreen. I called yesterday about stiff shifting on first lawn (needed both hands). Pat called me back in five minutes and explained that there is a steel shifter shaft that enters the transmission case on top. The shaft often rusts causing it to bind. He explained that you have to remove the hose clamp and slide the rubber protective boot up. And then spray with WD-40. Then work it back and forth. I used a pipe wrench. Then pack it with grease. It made a huge difference--works perfect now--shifts easily. Anybody want to see the photos?
  2. LawnsRUsInc.

    LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest
    Posts: 916

    I would!! i havent had a problem with mine yet but then again i havent started the season

  3. MStine315

    MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 789

    I talked to Pat yesterday, too, about increasing the RPM's. He was very helpful and returned my call promptly. Good info. on the shifter. Will do that (preventatively) tommorrow. Thanks for the tip.
  4. Shades of Green LService

    Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,011

    Sure, Lets see 'em
  5. RigglePLC

    RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 12,215

    OK. here is pic of the troublesome shifter shaft as it goes into tranny case. The hose clamp has been removed and the boot pushed up. The pipe wrench to move it back and forth is handy. As is the WD-40.
    Second pic is the motor cycle battery. Held in a pipe strap basket--but rust is a problem. Notice it is 12 volts and 5 ampere--hour rated. I have covered the terminals with a heavy layer of hot glue.


  6. Rlclawnguy

    Rlclawnguy LawnSite Member
    Posts: 111

    Thanks for the pics, I am going to have my mechanic look at this today. I was also looking to switch out the batteries in my machine. How has that battery worked out for you?
  7. RigglePLC

    RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 12,215

    Battery worked out well. But...corrosion damaged the terminals. So I coated with a heavy layer of hot glue--trying to keep it airtight and keep out water.
  8. RigglePLC

    RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 12,215

    You may notice the red handle on the left. It is a generic lawn mower throttle cable to control the third hole opening. $4.98. I am cheap. But i never use the third hole controller anyway. If rust destroys it--again--no great loss.

    DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA
    Posts: 5,137

    nice work............
  10. theturfboss

    theturfboss LawnSite Member
    from Indiana
    Posts: 47

    I tried the battery where you have it (we use a small lawn mower battery) with the same results. We simple welded a bracket to the side of the machine frame, just underneath the hopper. We moved the battery up there and have had no problems since. The battery does not stick out as far as the tire so there are no problems with it hitting somehting. FYI -Chris

Share This Page