Permagreen spread pattern issues?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by goodsonkd, Oct 15, 2009.

1. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Funny story (not so at the time). I was new to my PG magnum, applied high iron fert to a 3 acre lawn at a 3 million dollar house, going back-and-forth pattern. Neighbors started commenting on the 'huge mower' that must have left those 20' wide 'stripes' in the lawn. haha. I now use the 'Nascar' method, roundy round to the left, and have no more striping problems.

2. goodsonkd

goodsonkd LawnSite Member

Went with z-spray there is no comparison between the machine!! The intermediates we have are , the permagreens I USE to own are awful machines. There is not one thing about a permagreen that even compares slightly to the z spray machines even the triumph model. The z-sprays are far superior production machines.

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Some folks cannot afford to drop $7K plus on a Z or T. I am in that boat. So, I bought a used Mag for less than 1/2 that price that will more than do the job for me. I can put up with a few quirks for $4k in savings. Bottom line, it will throw fert and kill weeds and that is all I ask of it.

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I watched as my next door neighbors were treated by a major company that uses Permagreen Magnums. Crabgrass pre-emergent I suppose. Dimension as it was not yellow. They use vans and pull a small enclosed trailer for the Magnums. Only about 55 degrees and first mowing will come in a few days. They used the PGs for small lawns--about 6000 sqft each. Oddly, they sprayed weed killer on both, even though it is rather early for weeds, and neither lawn was weedy. Strong odor, so I am thinking it was an ester. Their guy used the square circle (racetrack ) pattern. I measured the tracks afterwards, and he used about a seven foot swath center to center.

5. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I will be starting tomorrow. Been cool and wet but its time. I also use the pg but I spray broadleaf as well. Dandelons are coming.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. bflower

bflower LawnSite Member

Just curious if anyones has shelled out the extra bucks for a triumph with the centri one hole opening and if it has helped with pattern issues. I am looking at leaving my magnums for the new machine, however it is hard, i have enough spare parts to build another magnum and the triumph is a whole new animal. How many hours have you racked up on your triumphs and would you go back to the magnum if you could?

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This is exactly what I do. the trick is to throw so your right hand discharge throws to the center of the last tracks. I get a PERFECT pattern everytime - no streaks or missed spots. On large open areas, I do my border with the side chute down (and 3rd hole closed), then reverse for a border spray. everything after that is spread and spray simultaneously. For tighter properties and/or more obstacles, I spread first, then reverse the pattern and go around clockwise spraying. This helps me to not get my tire tracks messed up and confused. I know right where every turn and row is.

8. Heidi J.

Heidi J. LawnSite Senior Member

Couldn't agree more. Have 6 Z's currently. Not cutting the PG, but Z's are the way to go :dancing: