1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

    Dismiss Notice

permagreen spreader problem

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lawn Solutions, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. Lawn Solutions

    Lawn Solutions LawnSite Member
    from midwest
    Posts: 39

    I'm having problems with the permagreen's fertilizer hopper gate.
    It seems that it keeps getting stuck. It looks like fertilizer particles are getting in between the sliding gate and the hopper causing the slide to get jammed up.
    Has anyone else had this problem?

  2. grassguy_

    grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio
    Posts: 633

    Yes, I've had this problem a number of times and best solutions are obviously to make sure you empty the hopper each day. The fines from your fert mixes will tend to cluster in those gaps between the plate and hopper gate causing it to restrict its shutoff. When its cleaned out I usually every other day or so hit the opening and the slide plate underneath with WD40 or some spray lube ans work it back and forth to keep it working well. If you have to much debri built up in between then it might be best to loosen the 3 bolts to the plate area and hit with a power washer to clear out any build up, then tighten the bolts back up. Hope this helps!
  3. turfsolutions

    turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 852

    I had this problem with my z spray. However the problem only occured when I spread team. After I closely inspected the granules I noticed pebbles mixed in with them. The pebbles were actually jamming the chute. This might not be whats happening to you. But team and I are done.
  4. Lawn Solutions

    Lawn Solutions LawnSite Member
    from midwest
    Posts: 39

    Thanks. I thought maybe I needed to replace the hopper slides or something. Sounds like I just need to give it more attention.

    I think I'll try spraying some grahite lube on it.
  5. kickin sum grass

    kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 628

    be cautious of spraying a lube on these areas. Contact perma green and ask if they recommend. Sometimes a lube will collect and hold material worst than before. You may find a larger build up than before.
    I do not own a perma green, but we have a spreader mounted on front of an exmark. I had the same problem and kept the area free of material but problem still happened. Found out the return spring had gotten weak and under any pressure would not close the gate. I simply shortened the spring (very little) and it has been working fine so far this year. If yours has a return spring to close gate, maybe check that out too.
  6. James Cormier

    James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma
    Posts: 1,218

    Found this old post today....Ive had this problem alot with my ultra, I cant even get through 100 lbs of lime without this happening

    Ive called PG about this, they told me I was the only one in the world with this problem..they never heard of it

    Straight fert takes awhile for this to happen...but lime gets it all clogged up in minutes

    I got a old lesco high wheel I bought in 89...that baby gotta have millions of sq ft under its belt, AND ive never had a problem with that.

    Leave it to pg to take a lesco spreader ( ultra ) and fiind a way to make it not work..
  7. cemars

    cemars LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 387

    I loosend the screws in the bottom of the hopper holhding the slide plate to help with this problem. Using a air hose to blow crap that has accumulated out on a regular bases helps as well.

    DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA
    Posts: 5,137

    if u dont keep it clean it will gum up
  9. grassguy_

    grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio
    Posts: 633

    James, I know exactly what you're talking about with the lime. The problem is that , I'm assuming your using the pelletized lime, well the constant agitation by the agitation spring just continues to mill down the pellets until their practically dust and start to deposit around the chute until eventually its getting plugged up. Wish there was an easy solution for it, but I've found either using some urea/pelletized lime mix works a little better or using the pelletized lime with the crushed limestone will help it to pass through a little easier. Problem with the crushed limestone is you'll need some extra agitator springs every few days of full use.

Share This Page