1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

permagreen starter

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by scagster, Apr 5, 2005.

1. scagster

scagster LawnSite Member
    from n.ohio

hey fellas. picked up my ultra from lesco last week ,electric start is still not working, turns the moter over find but wont start, then i yank the pull starter and it fires up on first pull, lesco mechanic says it needs heavier wire, but will not be coverd under warranty, anyways have any of you had this problem and if so what to do to fix it thanks

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like the battery. Those little batterries lose juice pretty quick.
    Try running it at full throttle for a while to charge the battery.
    If it still doesnt work i would change the battery. Just make sure you solder the connections.

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes this happenned to one of mine.
  4. scagster

scagster LawnSite Member
    from n.ohio

thanks guys, ill try a new battery
  5. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Ok, I do not understand the problem. You just paid big bucks for what in my opinion is an overpriced piece of equipment and it does not work. Go back to Lesco and tell the guy to either fix it or refund your money. If he says it is not under warranty then ask to speak to the supervisor. Keep going till you get it fixed.

If you buy something somewhere else and it does not work then you fight till you get results. I suggest you do the same here.

Oh and if the battery is no good then they should pay for that too. The darn thing is brand freakin new! Why should you be out any more money?!
  6. scagster

scagster LawnSite Member
    from n.ohio

the machine is a year old, i had it in the lesco repair shop for warranty work, electric start, throttle cable and a new pump. everything works now except it will not start unless i use the pull start, i am going to call permagreen tomorrow and see if they will do something before i buy a new battery
  7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

you say it turns the motor over fine? but it won't start... but then you pull the cord and it fires right up... If the starter is cranking it then the battery is obviously fine as well as the cables. sounds like some sort of electrical problem causing the spark to be grounded out when the key switch is in the 'start' position. seems like a very odd problem to me... I re read your question too, i don't own a permagreen but i thought it sounded like an interesting problem. hope you can get it figured out! tho i'm sure it's not that much trouble pull starting a 5.5 hp honda engine... lol (i think that's what's on that dude...)
  8. scagster

scagster LawnSite Member
    from n.ohio

no jason, its really no trouble pull starting,btw it has a6.5 briggs engine. its the princible,the thing should work properly and it doesnt, i dont know who to believe,the lesco mech, or the people who says its the battery. thats why i am going to call perma green
  9. ForeverGreen

ForeverGreen LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

Have been through the battery issue and starter issue many many times with the Ultra.You might as well get used to just giving it the one pull to start. I fought this for a year and gave up. New starter, new batteries. On occassion if the starter is engaged from bottom dead center it will start.The batteries simply are not powerful enough (even when new) What PG may tell you is to squirt WD 40 above and below the starter motor (it will not help)Then use never seize on the bendix (it will not help)AS a rule when the engine is hot the starter will not even turn the engine over. I believe the Magnum is a pull start too (humm)
  10. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

It is the battery. I had the same problem (twice last year). I changed the battery and it would start again. However, the new batteries were only lasting a few months before it would not start again. It would turn the engine over but not enough guts to start it. After the second battery last year I gave up and I pull start every time now.