Permagreen + Still poor weed control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Jun 30, 2006.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Problem 1: we recently "hotwired" one of our PG ride-ons (recommended by Permagreen), but when we slow down the rpm's (to turn the unit or to go slow over a heavy weed patch) the spray dwindles down to "not much" (poor weed coverage). ie: it barely spits out. (good luck on small-leafed weeds).

Problem 2: "the weeds along the edges" --- they ain't dying (knotweed, oxalis, clover, spurge, purslane, etc).

We mix the herbicide at the highest rate, but still poor weed control along the edges. On every lawn.

No problem = when we push spread the dry fert & backpack spray the weeds

OR.....use our LESCO Ztwo sprayer/spreader (works great & super weed control).

So I've not been really happy the past 4 years with our Permagreen Ultras, cuz small-leafed weeds do not die.

We have a problem as we have "lost customers" when we relied upon our Permagreen units.

Anybody else experience this?

Thanks - rscvp.

2. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used Chaser out of a PG Magnum last fall and this Spring, and I've had good results on most weeds except for Violets. When spraying a heavy weed patch in the Spring, why slow down? I would hit certain heavy patches again at full speed. You shouldn't have to worry much about burn.

I've always used a backpack even with a PG. No matter how good you get with the machine, hitting the edges can be a chore, especially with overgrown shrubs and ground cover.

It looks to me like you need to sell the Ultra's and go with the Lesco's. I think you posted the same thing a few months back.

3. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I use eliminate out of the PG, I run 3 ultras and have not had any control issues on anything.

I run both nozzles when I cut in along curbs, sidewalks etc to make sure I get the weeds along the edges. I cut in the beds with a single nozzle but then back pack the edges to make sure we got the weeds.

I have a hot wire on the way for one of my machines. So I have not had any experience with that yet. But I do have one of my machines rigged so the electrical system is by passed and do not have any problems other than my RPM;s won't get above 3100 which means I just needed to adjust my calibratons to make up for the slower speed.

I have found that when I run my z spray on commercial sites that I get slightly quicker control on the broadleaf. Maybe because I am putting down a little more water per k out of the z than the pg

4. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I am getting poor weed control as well, and found out that I am only runing between 3050 and 3150 rpm's. I just checked spray output over a minute's time and only got about 65-67 oz's when I should be getting near the 90 range. Is there anyway to adjust the honda's rpm's?

Thanks

5. southernsprayguy

southernsprayguy LawnSite Member

6. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

There is a idle screw by the throttle lever on the motor. It is a phillips head. Adjust it out until you reach the 3400 rpm. range.

7. RABBITMAN11

RABBITMAN11 LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy a Z- Spray much better machine

8. Shady Brook

from Indiana

somo1

Thanks for the pointer. I checked the throttle cable and it was as far out as the housing would allow. I backed out what I believe was the correct screw two full turns and it did not seem to effect the rpm level more then maybe 10 rpm's. Will I have to rotate that screw many times to make a significant difference? I can not imagine turning it enough to bring the rpm's up 300 rpm's. I figured a slight turn would make a noticeable difference.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

9. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Why not calibrate your weed mix to your current speed & coverage?

Its not rocket science, people. If you've got the license, you should have a clue.....

10. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Since discovering the lower output I have recalibrated my mix rate to match the machine. I just assumed the machine might perform better when running at the right rpm's. I hope to at least see improved results since my recalibration as my previous results with the low ai content was not great.