Permagreen, tinkering

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RigglePLC, Mar 3, 2008.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Waiting for the snow to melt. Anti-freeze in the Permagreen Ultra tires (or NOT). I notice that my tires contain ice.

Tinkering. I checked the output of my PG Ultra using the antifreeze in the tank. I opened the bottle fill valve at the lower left of the tank and discovered I am getting about 80 ounces per minute. (actually 20 ounces in 15 seconds--using the freshly charged battery--12.7 volts--without starting motor). But the instruction manual says I should be getting 90 ounces per minute. I am 11 percent short. Darn--but probably close enough.

I pulled the tubeing off the two three way valves. Then tried it with all three going at once. Still got about 80 ounces per minute.

I figured I am getting about 5500 sqft covered per gallon. Changed my fill chart to reflect that. Should get about 44,000 sqft per tank.

Anybody else--what flow rate are you getting? Ted, is this adequate for spraying weeds? How come i am not getting 128 gal per min from pump?

2. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

3. ted putnam

4. zimmatic

zimmatic LawnSite Senior Member

Is a plumbing issue on the pump with the lines in and Lines out(flow dynamics). Or wear on the pump.

5. RigglePLC

Ted, your friend's pressure drop during turns--I would say that is a battery problem. Suppose the charging system is putting out 20 volts, but only at wide open throttle, and the regulator reduces it to 14 volts. And suppose when he slows for turns, the battery has to take over--and maybe it is only capable of 10 volts. As for me--I don't slow down for turns.

And Zimmer, I suspect you are correct. I notice that the tubing coming from the tank and coming out of the pump is bigger, maybe 3/8 inside diameter, but near the front of the Ultra it is reduced to smaller tubeing, 7/16 inside diameter. Then it goes back to the three-way valves and then again forward to the nozzles. Is the tubeing too skinny?

Would a third nozzle in the center improve coverage?

I am thinking of adding a short wand or boom to the fill valve and using it for trim work around bushes.

6. pieperlc

pieperlc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I'm now interested to know my spray output as well. The machine is buried behind other equipment right now. I figured that I used to get about 30k per tank on open areas. Since the specs say 32k per tank I thought I was doing pretty good. With overlap between passes and on the end rows, I don't know if you'll ever get what the specs say. Has anyone ever figured out how to add a second spray tank and mount it somewhere so you could spray longer between fillups? I've been thinking about this, but have not come up with any great ideas yet. It would be used for the large properties where I'm spraying only. I hate spraying anything over 1.5 acres because I get tired of filling.

7. RigglePLC

Pieper,

Good idea. Did you say you were not spreading fertilizer at the same time?
    Then maybe I woud try placing a tank in the hopper. But a couple bungy cords over the top. The rectangular portion of mine is about 15 by18 inches, and about 10 inches deep. (That is 2550 cubic inches). That is room for 11 gallons. (In theory).

If I were doing this I would find a tank that fit roughly and then add a tube from the bottom of the tank to a tee in the pump supply line.You would want a valve or two, and maybe a filter. You could drill a hole for the tube in the hopper and cover it with duct tape or a big cork later--but if you open the hopper to max, the hose could go through the bottom of the hopper.

One important complication--the pressure bypass flow from the pump has to go back into the tank. But maybe that is not mandatory if you don't plan to shut off the valves when the pump is running.

8. pieperlc

pieperlc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Riggle,
    The second tank would only be used when only spraying. If spreading, you would have to go back and reload the granular anyway. I never thought about running the tube through the holes in the botton for some reason. Open them wide and there should be plenty of room. Considered drilling a hole, but wasn't really thrilled about doing that. Any ideas where I could look for that size of a tank? The bypass could possibly be left the way it is, and pump back into the original tank, as long as it's not full. I don't usually shut the valves off anyway. I've considered adding a spray wand to the machine, but the more I use the crappy little spray bottle, the more I like it.

9. RigglePLC

10. ted putnam

Hey Riggle,
    I haven't picked up my PG from the mower shop yet because of weather issues. However, I did call them and they did the tune up but I also had them searching for a replacement battery. They couldn't find one. Apparently it is an exclusive for PG Inc. I will probably go ahead and order one but for future reference, what type of battery did you replace yours with and did you just weld a tray for it and bolt it to the inside? Just wondering.